Ninja Needs Help With Arm/Hand

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Ninja Needs Help With Arm/Hand

Postby Retten » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:17 pm

Ok here is a sketch I'm woking on but I cant seem to get this guys arm correct but I dont know whats wrong either, something is just really bothering me about it :eyebrow: Help Please!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Mave » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:32 pm

heh it helps to place your hands in that position and look at the mirror. I do that all the time when I face that kind of problem.

Here's my two cents:
1) The hand is too small.
2) Have the thumb folded inwards (towards the character's right) to depict a firmer grip on the knife
3) A little more emphasis on the knuckles would help make it better (show a little more bending/angles on the fingers)

Hope this helps. :)
Mave

Postby JediSonic » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:56 pm

That seems like an awefully funny way to weild a knife... maybe thats it?

Or maybe I'm just weird :dizzy: lol

pretty much what mave said though I guess.
JediSonic

Postby Retten » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:18 pm

Yeah he is just holding it in front of him not actually intending to use it against someone :)

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:33 pm

his arm wrist and hanr or out of wack. unfortuanatly, the onyl advice i can really give is to look at your own hand in the mirror. try sketching each section one at a time, fromt he arm to the wrist to the hand, to each finger thne each section of the finger. work with it as if it were a 3 dementional object.

(id also suggest bringing his mouth a lil closer to his nose)
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Vampi » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:51 am

Ouch...it's hard to hold a knife like that. His hand is too small (along with his arms) and fingers are too delicate. These make it look like a female's hand. Put more flesh on the fingers. Um...it appears to me that there isn't enough space for the knuckles. There needs to be......I can't explain in words. I'm attaching a picture of a fist with a red circle around the area that needs more space (which would still be there even with the hand tilted like your ninja's).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vampi

Postby JediSonic » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:10 am

I just thought of something... maybe you should bring the shoulders up and in more? I mean, the width of a neck should be about the same as the distance between the side of your neck and the end of your shoulder, right? I'm just going by my own body's measurements and what I think looks right, but I think the shoulder-span in this pic is definitely too large.
JediSonic

Return to Art Corner