A hopeless kid who wants to draw manga.

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

A hopeless kid who wants to draw manga.

Postby ZiP » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:08 pm

Hey, I can't draw worth spit. :)
could anyone give me pointers, I can sort of make a mental pic of what i wanna
draw but I just can't quite draw it, for some reason,
Sombody, anybody, help me please!! give me sme pics of yours too help get me started. :) anybody?
--To Write Love on Her Arms

"That time and absence proves - Rather helps than hurts to love."

"Feelings, emotions, they are good, but they cannot be Love's foundation. When of Love, these things last. When of romance, these things end."

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it's what you are expected to give -- which is everything."
ZiP

Answer

Postby Staci » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:31 pm

ZiP wrote:Hey, I can't draw worth spit. :)
could anyone give me pointers, I can sort of make a mental pic of what i wanna
draw but I just can't quite draw it, for some reason,
Sombody, anybody, help me please!! give me sme pics of yours too help get me started. :) anybody?
I will say this first: I am not an artist. I must use rulers to draw stick figures accurately I am so bad at drawing. But I do have some advice that my friends who are artists gave me a while back:

If you want to draw Manga/Anime, study Manga/Anime itself. Look up artists on the web, find ones you like, maybe ask them how they do it themselves. There are loads of "How To Draw..." books in the Graphic Novel sections at both Barnes'n'Noble and Walden Books. You can certainly spend an afternoon at Barnes perusing as many books as you want. Bring a journal, jot down notes, etc.

I apologize if this is not the answer you sought, especially coming from someone who does not draw. I will let the more experienced members of our Forums take it from here.

Good luck and if you hard, you'll do great! :thumb:

Edit: As my piano teacher, flute teacher, and Chorus Instructor said, "Practice makes perfect". *~_~*
Member of the CAA Book Club
Staci

Postby ZiP » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:34 pm

Okie, thanks I'll try to do that next time im at B&N.
Anyone else?

"Feelings, emotions, they are good, but they cannot be Love's foundation. When of Love, these things last. When of romance, these things end."

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it's what you are expected to give -- which is everything."
ZiP

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:15 pm

Close your eyes and imagine something, and then try drawing it with your eyes still closed. (As lousy an artist as I am, sometimes it works for me... *shrug* )
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

hmmm...

Postby darkoon » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:12 am

God bless you. If you want to draw for real, the first thing you should do is....................................(PRAY). That is the key. The second thing is to practice everyday with circles, squares and other forms. Even if you are eating, just keep making circles, the better you draw them, the smoother you will be handling the pencil. If you wish, I could give you tips aytime, but please dont give up, EVER!

Darkoon
darkoon

Postby HikariChan » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:55 am

how about this...when you first start dont try to make a masterpice. just practice on the eyes or something. just keep practicing on every part. then when you get the hang of it try to put the pieces together. thats what i do. dont expect to be a master at it at first. just practice practice and practice!!!!
thats what i did.

My mom does NOT go to college
:P
HikariChan

Location: -Where I practice flying with my Imagination-Big Ol' Texas-

Postby Mave » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:35 am

Don't you have any manga or anime pics? Get some sample pics and draw/copy them out. Keep doing that until you start to have some ideas of your own. ^^ That's how I started.
Mave

Postby inkhana » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:04 am

After, like Darkoon said, praying (always vitally important...;) ) start definitely thinking of fanart (like Mave said, except also exploring your own concepts with the pieces). That will give you a standardized form to follow while allowing you to work at getting your own style and expressing yourself without worry about developing your own character. I drew fanart for years before I seriously started working with my own characters.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby ZiP » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:03 pm

Hey thanks guys! Thatll help a lot, I'll try cutting out some manga if i can get my hands on some.

ZiP

Postby Hitokiri » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:23 pm

it took me a while to develope my art style for drawings. A little more than 6 years. At first it resembled something from Pokemon or something really really bad. And then went into a littl ebit more better but still bad. Then I actually stopped with my own style and drew anything in a Dragon Ball Z style, I drew tons of of fan pictures of the characters. Well bout 3 years from them to now, I've slowly started working on my own style to what I have right now.

Bets thing is to base your style of a anime style you like. For instance, my artwork clsoely resembled somehting from Rurouni Kenshin and Cowboy Bebop. Though I tweaked it a bit to suit my needs to what I want i like more.

I would at first sketch other anime characters from pictures and such and then do it by memory. After you master drawing a known anime hcaracter from memory, you should be able to draw your own character from memory too.
Hitokiri

Postby olorc » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:39 pm

The key to drawing well is to know your basics, fundementals if you will. For the head make a circle and attach a jaw. For the body draw a stick figure that is proportioned right then add a rib cage and hips, finally add muscles and such which hangs from the bones (sticks in the stick figure). This will take a long time to get right but if you work constantly at one certain basic structure you will see improvement. Also, save all your work even if it is horrible. That way when you get depressed and don't think that you've improved in a while you can look back at how far you've come.
olorc

Postby elfinjedi » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:14 pm

I'm not much of an artist either, but my friend blade (keyblade) is constantly doodling. Sometimes she just does eyes over and over and then maybe does hands over and over and facial expressions over and...well you get the picture. Hikari chan is pretty much right in her assumption. If you do it over and over again, concentrating on just one detail until you're satisfied, you're skills are sure to improve. And yes indeed PRAY!!! also, some have said to get books from barns n' nobles.....this is a very good thing to do. Blade has at least 6 books on how to craw. Two of which I've looked at (Manga Mania and Anime Mania by Christopher Hart) and those are mostly good for helping design character profiles...but they also have the basic essential information for beginners (I don't draw....I write ^^:: ) And if it's something you really wanna do, never give up!

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13 ;)
Mwaaaaaaalaaaaaloooooo!!!!!! :hug: :hug:
elfinjedi

Return to Art Corner