June coloring contest

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Postby olorc » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:52 pm

your bring this contest to a whole different level Piloswine.
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Scribs » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:34 pm

your bring this contest to a whole different level Piloswine

I do what I can.

As for what programs I use...

I use crayons (crayola of cource!) and colored pencils to actually do the coloring. I then use ms Paint to insert the bonus images.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby the_lizardqueen » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:36 pm

*is wearing her mind reading proof tinfoil hat and staring at Piloswine very suspiciously*

....you my good man, are a mad artistic genius. Yesh.

*nods*
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby CreatureArt » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:45 pm

That was an awesome picture, Piloswine. I love the evil smile on the guy, and the evil dolphins. The upside-down man is great, too. :grin:

Oo... there's only three days left until the competition is over. :) . I can't wait to see all the incoming entries!

Colouring buddies... GO! (*old-school gamer music from Lemmings starts to play* ...which reminds me, I managed to actually get that game on my cellphone. Does it scare anyone else that those old-school games we used to play are now available to play on things smaller than the size of a person's hand?!?!)
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Dolphin Man

Postby Falcon » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:01 pm

Hope I am not to late I have been unwell for a week or so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Love Light Life -
be these and it could cost you your Pride.
do not be them and you will sure keep your Pride.
But certainly lose your Love, Light and Life.

Love God, Love People.
Falcon

Postby Falcon » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:09 pm

Wow ....I have just looked at all the other entries and wow double wow.....They are soooooooooooo good. I see I have much to learn in the area of coloring textures layers etc.
Love Light Life -

Love God, Love People.
Falcon

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:16 pm

Falcon wrote:Wow ....I have just looked at all the other entries and wow double wow.....They are soooooooooooo good. I see I have much to learn in the area of coloring textures layers etc.

You'll learn how...just ask questions and mess with whatever program your using (I'm assuming a form of photoshop).

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Photosoph » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:04 pm

That looks cool, Falcon! :thumb: We've all got stuff to learn, though. ^_^ I really liked your background, and the little spray of water below the little dolphin. The shading on the bigger one makes it look really soft and shiny.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby the_lizardqueen » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:21 pm

I have to agree with Photosoph, there's always lots left to learn, even in the case of professional artists. Art is one of those things that always subject to change. And don't even get me started on the confusion that is computer coloring and me :eh:

Oo, I love the contrast between the brightly colored figure and the darker background. And I really like how three dimensional and real the dolphins look, due to the shading and all. Neato BG choice too, I never woulda thought of palm trees.
Falcon wrote:I have been unwell for a week or so.

I hope your feeling better ^_^
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

the_lizardqueen

Postby Sam*ron » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:09 pm

Okay, finally finished mine. ^^ I tried posting it yesterday, but the site was messed. So yeah, here is mine. ^__^
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thank you Admins & Mods - @)}~`,~
Sam*ron

Postby Photosoph » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:26 pm

D'oh! I forgot to say I hope you're feeling better too! It's not nice feeling sick. I haven't got a full-blown cold but at the moment I'm feeling a little hot -__- That's not nice enough by itself, but having a full cold is really horrible. Hope you're feeling better, Falcon!

Woah... that looks really cool, Samron. I especially love that bubbly texture... it really gives the sense of being underwater. Nice colours used as well. ^_^ Excellent!
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Falcon » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:40 pm

thanks for the great comments everyone. I have started to use Microsoft expression 3 for the background and dolphins and coral photo paint for the man.

excellant work sam'
Love Light Life -

Love God, Love People.
Falcon

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:41 pm

woah samron... the random light! sweet and innovative!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby CreatureArt » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:30 pm

Woo - two very cool entries. I wonder if there's any more coming in...

I really like the backgrounds on both pictures. The palm trees and sand give it a really nice 'hawaii' feel and give the picture depth in yours, Falcon, and those textured bubbles suit the theme nicely and give a nice feel to your entry, Samron. :)
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
---
CreatureArt

Postby Esoteric » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:19 am

Woohoo! Another ink-splatter artist! Awesome background Sam*ron! And the dynamic lighting really gives the piece a strong center. Very nice entry!
Esoteric

Postby Sam*ron » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:14 am

Wow!!! Thank you all so much!! I am glad you guys like it!! ^_^ I really love all your peices too, it gave me lost of ideas!! So thank you!

Oh, and Falcon, if you ever need any tips or help, feel free to ask me, I will try my best to help you. And you did awesome on yours, great job! ^^
Sam*ron

Postby Yeito » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:13 pm

*sigh* Now I think I'm the only person who hasn't entered. You guys might have to just cut me from it this time though. My moms been doing really bad lately.(she had two strokes about a month ago) and I've been running her around to various doctors and stuff.

On top of that my parents expect me to have two chapters of my bible read, a GOOD bit of some random book read, and a chapter of my ACT booklet studied by the end of the day. And I have to clean the house and do the laundry and dishes.

-_-; I'm sorry. I sound like I'm complaining dont I? I don't mean to... I'll stay up tonight till I finish my picture. I promise.

:sleeps while she scribbles:
Yeito

Postby Photosoph » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:14 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, Yeito. I'll pray for your Mum, if you like. Even if you can't get yours finished in time -that's okay. ^_^ Just post it in the thread, I'd still like to see it whenever you get it finished. Don't worry about it too much -there'll always be another competition next month, as well.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Sam*ron » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:35 pm

What she said, I still want to see what you do! ^_^ I will pray for you too.
Sam*ron

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:53 pm

You have four hours. (My eastern time that is.)
Shao Feng-Li

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:11 pm

Awesome work Samron! Sistahs of the glowing orbs UNITE! :grin:

Seriously though, I love the colors in your version, they seem so rich. And the textures in the background and across the figure are so awesome. I especially love the textures in the brown portion of his clothes, and his hair is such a pretty shade. I think that the colors that you chose for the dolphins are working really well too. Overall, I really like how unified and sorta...peaceful your version seems (am I making any sense?)

And I'm so sorry to hear about your mom Yeito, it sounds like life is currently really crazy for you. Try not to worry about it too much, or lose too much sleep, as much as this has been mucho quantities of fun it is still just a coloring contest. I'd definitely love to see your finished version though, regardless of whether or not ya get it in time.
Take care and God Bless! (oo, and mebbe sleep tonight)
:hug:

the_lizardqueen

Postby Falcon » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:36 pm

Sam*ron, or any for that matter, is it posible to give a few tips on shading clothes and hair. I think I should concentrate on that first. I have lots of questions but lets start with this one.
Love Light Life -

Love God, Love People.
Falcon

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:37 pm

I... have finished. I heard this was due the 25th so here I am on the last day....

EDIT: oh and mave... if I call it a collaberation and give you full linart credit can I put this on Devart?

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:46 pm

DUDE!!! SPARKLES!!!!!! *giddy*

Um, yeah, incase ya can't tell I seriously love the water droplet effect. So pretty and action packed! The dolphins look so real too, amazing shading there. The background is really real looking too, did you manipulate any photos into it? And the colors that ya picked for the guy are cool, they're very different. Nicely done :grin:

And I totally know whatcha mean in regards to the last day submission thing. I'm usually like that, frankly I'm shocked that I submitted as early on as I did. It's very against my nature.

the_lizardqueen

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:10 pm

the_lizardqueen wrote:DUDE!!! SPARKLES!!!!!! *giddy*

Um, yeah, incase ya can't tell I seriously love the water droplet effect. So pretty and action packed! The dolphins look so real too, amazing shading there. The background is really real looking too, did you manipulate any photos into it? And the colors that ya picked for the guy are cool, they're very different. Nicely done :grin:

And I totally know whatcha mean in regards to the last day submission thing. I'm usually like that, frankly I'm shocked that I submitted as early on as I did. It's very against my nature.

Water droplet spray stuff is actually a brush feature off of Corel Painter. I actually pulled a picture of a dolphin for the color and shading reference but didnt use the photo for anything other than palatte.

There are no photos in this at all within this picture. I was looking at them for reference to do the background (and the dolphin) which I practically painted separately in PS and affected different ways (I used the plastic wrap filter on about five or six different things in the whole drawing... try to find em all). I tend not to blend photo and drawing if I can avoid it...*shrugs*

Colors... yeah I decided early on that I wanted it to look sort of natural, like an everyday sort of clothing with minor decoration. I also went with colors that were ocean-ey, like sharkskin and whatnot.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Photosoph » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:17 pm

*Swoons* What can I say that LQ hasn't already? That looks fantastic! I love sparkles too. ^_^ Also the purple makes the eyes really striking... somehow the purple of the eyes and yellow of the hair go really well together. Probably some complimentary colours or something rule. Your dolphins rock too; I like their shading.

Hmm... did you use bubblewrap on the skin, sharkskin and white colours on the clothes, and the sea? That's all I can really pick out.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:14 pm

[quote="Photosoph"]*Swoons* What can I say that LQ hasn't already? That looks fantastic! I love sparkles too. ^_^ Also the purple makes the eyes really striking... somehow the purple of the eyes and yellow of the hair go really well together. Probably some complimentary colours or something rule. Your dolphins rock too]

Purple and Yellow arn't same triad... but it might be another sort of color relation. I know the colors work together for some reason.

Plastic wrap quiz:

Skin: Nope... thats just highlights. I thought of it though.
Sharkskin: If you mean gloves..no. If you mean the dolphins...yes.
White on clothes: Yes, along with 2 other effects.
Sea: Yes

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:20 pm

Wha? Plastic bubblewrap? and dolphins? Ei, confused..

Also, I'd like to second Mechana's question about posting the colored versions. I was seriously considering posting mine on DA too, but I felt funny doing that without Mave's permission.

the_lizardqueen

Postby CreatureArt » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:45 pm

GDASHDASGHASH! Awesome entry, Mechana! I really, really love the colouring on the dolphins. Very realistic, nice colours that work well. The droplet effect... excellent. Everything works with the background, too.

:thumb:
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
---
CreatureArt

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:15 pm

the_lizardqueen wrote:Wha? Plastic bubblewrap? and dolphins? Ei, confused..

Also, I'd like to second Mechana's question about posting the colored versions. I was seriously considering posting mine on DA too, but I felt funny doing that without Mave's permission.
Its a filter on Photoshop that I have come to use a lot called plastic wrap... its just a wierd way of manipulating the image.

Falcon:
General clothing rules for shading.
If its bent under or under a fold, put a shadow there. Darken the shadow as it approaches the part of the fold thats sticking out. Highlight the very edge of the part of the fold that sticks out.

Taper the shadow as it comes to the edge of the fold.

Shade all along the sides of the clothing lightly. I've found it gives a feeling of depth to the figure.

*to everyone else... feel free to add to this or correct anything I said wrong*

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Previous Next

Return to Art Corner