Fan art

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Fan art

Postby wiggins » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:05 am

Hi guys,
I am interested in drawing fan art to help improve my drawing abilities. Can someone tell me how that is done? Is it done with reference pictures or not? If so, where are these reference pictures found? And doyou trace, or just look and draw? Or do you just take the image you have in your mind and draw? Thanks everyone!
God bless you,
Jonathan
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Postby Esoteric » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:58 am

To be able to draw perfectly what's in your mind is the ultimate goal, however, it takes a profesional with years of daily experience really get that good. For the rest of us wanna-bes, we have to start with reference pictures and models.

Don't trace, find pictures you like, anime or not, and attempt to replicate them by looking at them. Study how 3D forms are rendered with lighting, how body mechanics work, proportions, etc. Improvment takes time, but it will happen. Eventually, you'll begin to get idea on how to draw something, without looking at a picture, because you have so many times.
Esoteric

Postby wiggins » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:30 am

So... copy without tracing?
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Postby Esoteric » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:27 pm

Correct.

If you just trace, you're not learning how to 'see'...just how to trace. But when you copy w/o tracing, you will be able to see the differences between the original and your own version. Seeing these differences will help your eyes become more aware of the shapes you're trying to draw... the shape of a chin line, or a shirt wrinkle.

By copying in this manner, your eyes and hands learn to work together. You learn how things are put together. Eventually, you won't need to copy anymore, you'll be able to invent.
Esoteric

Postby VELyuki_26 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:03 am

Adding to what Esoteric siad, you should first concentrate on learning the real proportions and anatomy of humans. After you have done this, practically anything is possible. ALL art dealing with the human form begins with real human anatomy. This will also enhance the inventive process which Esoteric spoke of and give you a concrete foundation for anything, fanart or original. I'm sorry for going off the subject, but you really can't skip around to much. Fanart is your tribute to the creator and concept of the subject. If you learn the craft of art well, you will not be limited to just copying. Remember to keep in ming the Great Creator. All of our pictures, professional or "amateur" are based on His design. Reach for Him, and you'll find your fanart and possibly your own style. God Bless.
VELyuki_26

Return to Art Corner