Some one critique my art please.

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Some one critique my art please.

Postby olorc » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:43 am

8-23-04 Edit: The main thread that I would like to have be the only one people look at and post on is "Critique Colorc's art here! Woot! Come see"
This is where I'm gunna post all my art from now on.
Here's a link to that thread: http://www.christiananime.com/showt...46&page=1&pp=10

Original Post:
hey, it would be really helpful if you could tell me what you think of these pics. For every good thing you say, please try to give at least one constructive criticism. :sweat: Thanks a lot. :rock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Golden_Griff » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:57 am

The creepy door picture looks nice but there's one itty bitty thing: I don't think the door is open enough to let in that much light. Anyway, I'll leave the critiques with the experts.
My art album! (Click Here!) :cool:

Proud member of P.W.M.O.U.W.I.A.T.M.A. : People Who Make Odd and Ugly Words In an Attempt To Make Acronymns.

"You don't have to be great to start, but you do have to start to be great."--Joe Sabah
Golden_Griff

Postby b0redx3 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:13 pm

i like the first one. i love to draw figure drawings... and that gave a sense of realism in your work by the shadows that captured the face. nicely done. =]
The thing that needed to be done is to watch out for the forehead. the shadow that captures a forehead does not curve like that. (well maybe there are some people's forehead like that, but never seen one before) Watch out! if you want to continue the realism the body have to match the shadows too! Shoulder down lack shadows, which gives a little 'weirdness' to the figure. Give it as much impact as you did on the face... it will be great!

The second one is nice. Nice sketch =D

Personally i don't understand the third one... but if its a door, and the other side is that bright.. you should indicate that by the room we seem to be in. <- give more light in that room. The white lines on the floor confuses me.

Wow, i've never critique that much before.. Hope i'm not harsh.. because i will never intend to do that. Wish that it helps in your future creativities ;]
"Hopeless romantics are the idealists, the sentimental dreamers, the imaginative, and the fanciful. They give the world its once-upon-a-times and happily-ever-afters. Hopeless romantics may have their feet on the ground, but their souls fly somewhere over the rainbow."
b0redx3

Postby olorc » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:57 pm

Ya, thanks a lot for all the good feedback. Boredx3, i see what you're saying now about the body of the first guy, ya my focus was the head and the body was sorta a last minute thought. Thanks for all the comments and keep posting if you see anything else.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby b0redx3 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:16 pm

olorc wrote:Ya, thanks a lot for all the good feedback. Boredx3, i see what you're saying now about the body of the first guy, ya my focus was the head and the body was sorta a last minute thought. Thanks for all the comments and keep posting if you see anything else.

Hey, no problem~! I'm glad that i've helped =D
:jump:
"Hopeless romantics are the idealists, the sentimental dreamers, the imaginative, and the fanciful. They give the world its once-upon-a-times and happily-ever-afters. Hopeless romantics may have their feet on the ground, but their souls fly somewhere over the rainbow."
b0redx3

Postby Golden_Griff » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:57 pm

boredx3 wrote:Personally i don't understand the third one... but if its a door, and the other side is that bright.. you should indicate that by the room we seem to be in. <- give more light in that room. The white lines on the floor confuses me.

Oh, I thought it looked like that because it was a staircase :sweat:
My art album! (Click Here!) :cool:

Proud member of P.W.M.O.U.W.I.A.T.M.A. : People Who Make Odd and Ugly Words In an Attempt To Make Acronymns.

"You don't have to be great to start, but you do have to start to be great."--Joe Sabah
Golden_Griff

Postby Mave » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:25 am

1st pic: Good renderation of shadows and shades. I seriously have no bone to pick with that one.

2nd pic: I don't really get it. Is it his cloak that's waving to the right? Wings? ^_^;;

3rd pic: I think the walls on the side and ceiling should reflect some light as well, not just the stairs.

Hope this helps. ^^
Mave

Postby olorc » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:11 am

Golden_Griff wrote:Oh, I thought it looked like that because it was a staircase :sweat:

Sweet. You got it!

Mave, the second picture was supposed to be sort of a cloak but at the same time remind people of the swirly way some monsters transform. But more accurately I would have to comment that I was just going for a feeling and less of an accurate depiction of something. It was sort of an experiment.
olorc

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:37 am

The first fig is kinda creeped me out with all of that hair and the huge neck. ( hairy people do not look good in the comic world) but still, AWESOME DRAWING! Your style on him really reminds me of Mike Mignola, who does the Hellboy comics. Either you never realized it, or you're drawing almost straight from it. I think it's great though. ;)
Ichigo_89

Postby olorc » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:01 pm

[quote="ZIPO_MASTER*"]Your style on him really reminds me of Mike Mignola, who does the Hellboy comics. Either you never realized it, or you're drawing almost straight from it. I think it's great though. ]

Actually, my style usually is quite different from what I have displayed in this thread. I'm glad :jump: someone said that it looked like Mignola's stuff because that is what influenced the first drawing a lot. I didn't draw right from it though. I liked the shading style a lot and tried to duplicate that and the sort of firm creepy feeling it gave me when I was reading Hellboy.
olorc

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:14 pm

Well, you did a great job at duplicating his style, cause that's almost exactly what his stuff looks like. Good job!
Ichigo_89

Postby olorc » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:29 pm

ZIPO_MASTER* wrote:Well, you did a great job at duplicating his style, cause that's almost exactly what his stuff looks like. Good job!

Thanks, I tried not to copy his art just some of the shading styles.
olorc

Postby Archan » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:25 pm

Hello, don't think ye met officially.
I'm Archan.

Hum, Well I like you first piece, the digruntled guy. I'm not too concerned with the body because the facial expression and the texture draws away from that. Also, I't gives it kind of a more graphic style which in this case works.

the second pic is nice as well, i particullarily like the cross hatching technique, however, if you wan to give it more feeling or a feeling of transformation, you might want to try giving the cloak a tad bit more weight and form, have it swirl in different directions or, more or less give the cloak some character while at the smae time keeping the cross hatch effect.

As for the third pic, I like it. I might need to shed a little light in the room, but not too much. The stronger the definitions between shadow and light the stronger this piece will stand out.

Tell me, where these pieces finished with a sharpie or some type of marker?

God bless,
Archan
1 Peter 5:10 "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."
Archan

Location: Hold on, "Baratta Klaatu Nikto" Now Currently fighting evil, saving puppies, that sort of

Postby olorc » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:15 am

Archan wrote:

Tell me, where these pieces finished with a sharpie or some type of marker?
God bless,
Archan

The first was finished with Prismacolor black marker. The next two were done with Faber-castell brush pen (my favorite to work with.)
Thanks for the input, how would I go about adding "weight" to the cloak? Any suggestions on that would be cool.

Anyone else with a comment?
olorc

Postby olorc » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:55 am

Archan wrote:
Hello, don't think ye met officially.
I'm Archan.

Hello, glad to meet you. It's cool when people introduce themselves to others they haven't met before. Thanks, cya around. :thumb:
olorc

Postby olorc » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:38 pm

Anyone else with a comment?
olorc

Postby ally-san » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:50 pm

u would make a good american comic book artist cuz u have the thick lines and shadows down. if u draw people its good to draw people from all angles so the behind drawing is good. its good to focus in on a certain area of the body,especially a part ur having trouble w/, and draw it over and over again or use people to model for u. the shadow on the first one is good but the character lacks depth and the outside lines are a little sketchy. its ok to be sketchy but not uneven. the third one is good and it sets a mood which is very important. ok i critiqued, hope u dont get angry w/me. hey, i thought u were gonna pm me :shady: o well.
"The only consolation I find in your immediate presence is your ultimate absence."

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Lord I give you my heart
I give you my soul
I live for you alone
Every breathe that I take
Every moment I'm awake
Lord have your way in me..
ally-san

Postby olorc » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:11 pm

ally-san wrote:u would make a good american comic book artist cuz u have the thick lines and shadows down.

Thanks
ally-san wrote: the shadow on the first one is good but the character lacks depth and the outside lines are a little sketchy. its ok to be sketchy but not uneven.

Maybe you could expand a little on this idea.
olorc

Postby olorc » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:23 am

The main thread that I would like to have be the only one people look at and post on is "Critique Colorc's art here! Woot! Come see"
I'm gunna post all my pics there from now on.
Here's a link to that thread: http://www.christiananime.com/showt...46&page=1&pp=10
olorc

Postby Scribs » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:54 am

That Guy in the first picture should turn down the volume on His head phones or he's going to get some Ear damage, If that happened The guy in the second Picture could come up those creepy stairs in the third picture and get him! :wow!:

I Really like Guy 1

His Head Shading is Nifty
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby olorc » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:22 am

Thanks, also I moved all my art to one thread, it's called "Critique olorc's art Here! Woot! come see!"
But thank's for the input.
olorc

Return to Art Corner