Future Carreer

Talk about anything in here.

Future Carreer

Postby Jephtih Mullins » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:37 am

I wan't to be a voice actor for the following: anime, disney, nickelodeon

I have many a voice I can do. I can do Sean Conery, elderly people, Elmo, Stitch's noises, evil laughing, Sid The Sloth and a few acents!

I need to go find a few places that are looking for talent. So far Nick sounds the easiest. Anyways thats what I hope to be doing in the near future. :)
Jesus is comming soon! RUE? / F.K.A. KabinShushiSora
Jephtih Mullins

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:14 am

Thanks for starting this one, I need a place to unload this particular burdan of mine...

To be honest, all I really want to do as a career is game design. The prospects of this are rather dismal, to be honest. I talked to somebody at Square, and they gave me a rough outline. So I'm taking all the classes I'm supposed to (as well as the toughest in everything else) and I'm designing games in a lot of my spare time. Plus I'm learning Japanese, because I'd really like to work with Square. I have two colleges that would be good options, but I worry about: one, getting accepted, and two, the fact that I'll get about zero scholarships there and my budget can't handle it. Even if all that went well, I still have to actually get a job. People are always saying that every refusal is one closer to a success, but in my situation, a refusal means that I'm pretty much sunk. But my alternative to all this is getting another sort of job, and there's nothing else that really interests me.

So I guess I have to put it in God's hands, but this makes me uneasy, to be honest. Because God has this funny tendancy to not take things where you want them to go. Stephen was a saint and all, but I doubt rocks feel very soft.
uc pseudonym

Postby Shinja » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:19 pm

cool, game design, would be an awsome job. right now im working on getting my BS in industral engeneering technology. i dont know what im going to do with this degree, but my focus in school right now is parametric design of industral parts, systems, and componets on computers. after collage there are a few things id like to do. either go to another school and get my masters in automotive design, or get a job working with a car manufacturer. though the idea of becoming a bounty hunter apeals to me. and then theres my dream of being a pilot, ive got my licence all ready, but need more certifications and wads of cash i dont have to get a plane. so basicly i have no idea what i want to do. ill probably end up like alot of people doing a regular 9-5 in an office somewhere. man thats so sad :waah!:
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby DoMiNiQuE » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:26 pm

I would like to be a musician in a famous Orchestra...like John Williams.. I want to play the background/credit music for movies...
I want to swim with the dolphins...
. or Work @ the Zoo or like be in any kind of electronics.. like work @ Best Buy. ;) nah jk.. i wanna get a good job.
Dominique

Revelation 22:12- Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Homestarrunner Rocks!!

Paper cranes are my friend... so is pastel stars

ImageAw.
DoMiNiQuE

Postby Technomancer » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:47 pm

Well, I want to finish writing my master's thesis in the short term. Hopefully, I can go back to work for Defence Research Establishment as a Defence Scientist. If not, I still want a job that keeps me in signal processing stuff. After seven years here in Hamilton, I could really do with a change of scene (haven't ruled out a Ph.D altogether though).
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Master Kenzo » Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:45 pm

Well, I think it's best if you stick to your talents, mine being writing and programming. I'm not really sure about a career though.
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:15 pm

Wow, it's refreshing to see so many ambitious people. However, many of you already seem a little discouraged. I'm all for realism and knowing how tough of a road you have ahead of you is, but don't let anything touch your dreams. If you have a dream or vision inside of you, followed up by a drive, chances are that God put it there. Dreams and plans for the future should bring you hope, not doubt.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:16 pm

With my medical school debt, I won't be anything other than an MD for a very, VERY long time.

However, once I've paid that all off and got some in the bank, I think I'll pull another career change (which will be my third), go back and get my PhD in linguistics, and either do field work or maybe join up with Wycliffe as a translator after all (they have a dearth of people with formal linguistic training). I was actually setting up for a short term trip with them to Nicaragua when I got accepted to medical school ... if that wasn't God redirecting me, I don't know what is.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Ashley » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:44 pm

Hmm...as college looms higher and higher before me, I've narrowed it down to about 2/3 fields of interest.
One is archaelogy/art history. I've always been drawn to paintings and sculptures--especially from the renaissance--and I think teaching others about them would be great fun! Or leading tours through a museum, teaching little kids about this wonderfully large and ancient world God gave us. Mostly though, I'm really into history, so this rather fits.
Another part of me wants to either work for Pixar or start my own studio like it. I can't exactly draw out the actual frames, but I like coming up with ideas for stories/movies, etc.
I've also thought about counselling...and commercial art. These are less of a tug, but it's still there...truth is, I can't decide what I want to do. Nor is God being very...clear to me about what I should do at the moment. Seems like my career choice changes every day. At least I'm not the only one around here with that feeling, right?
Ashley

Postby andyroo » Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:02 pm

I've wanted be a meteorologist for a few years (since 3rd grade), but I'm kinda moving away from that. Now I sort of want to be as theoretical Physicist. I really have no clue as to what kind of a career I want to have. I will probably end up getting all of these minor degrees and maybe only major in only one or two fields - a PhD is a bit too far off for me think about right now.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby LorentzForce » Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:10 pm

when i was a kid, i played games instead of playing outside in the farmyard. since then, i wanted to play more games.

when i moved into an urban area, i attended this tutoring place where in one year i learnt to program simple programs. that's in year 2, btw.

and at the same time, i saw the beauty of computer games. the sheer entertainment, while the pure logical thinking required to program one.

so, even now, i still am striving to become the best programmer in the world. at least i am in school, which isn't so bad :)
LorentzForce

Postby Straylight » Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:07 pm

Well personally I think Neo's quote from the Matrix is perfect in this context... concerning dreams and ambitions: "There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path"

I think God gives us dreams to nudge us in various directions. I have had several and often they unfold much later than than you expect. Sometimes they don't unfold at all, because they are not from God. Please don't take this the wrong way but be wary of things like ambitions to become involved in any part of the entertainment industry (this includes games, music, film etc.). I'm not saying bury your dreams, just take them with a pinch of salt from the Bible because the enemy is quite capable of dropping things into your head that can seem attractive.

Of course the entertainment industry is ample grounds for spreading the gospel and there are a lot of extremely talented people on here, but please be wary brothers and sisters. Your dream is not necessarily your career.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby LorentzForce » Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:16 pm

well, if it's not programming it's fixing computers for me. that or physics or chemistry. but those aren't fun...
LorentzForce

Postby Technomancer » Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:24 pm

Physics and Chemistry not fun!? Feh!

Lorentz- have you considered computer or electrical engineering (or perhaps comp sci)? A good deal more interesting than computer repair. Plus, it gives you a solid background in the field (although there might be college* programs geared to game design)

*NB. Colleges in Canada are distinct from the unversities in that they focus on the trades and applied arts, as opposed to the universities which are centred on the humanities, the sciences and the professions. (Just so nobody here thinks you can major in Gameboy or something)
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:43 pm

> Just so nobody here thinks you can major in Gameboy

Rats. I knew I missed my calling.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Jephtih Mullins » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:34 pm

I really need to get the whip crakin here! This is one goal that Im determined to reach! Im semi jelous of my sister being ahead of me in everything! she got out of school and home at my age...she has a great job in the navy she even got her car...which i don't have yet...Even my teachers say it sounds good. But I have no clue on where to go....I wonder if I can E-mail Nickelodeon and see, cuz every great voice starts in a small place!
Jephtih Mullins

Postby Jephtih Mullins » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:39 pm

Hey Blufire i take it you're on-line huh?
I think, thou it kinda sounds stupid, that we should pray for everyone's future carrears
Jephtih Mullins

Postby LorentzForce » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:50 pm

Technomancer wrote:Physics and Chemistry not fun!? Feh!

Lorentz- have you considered computer or electrical engineering (or perhaps comp sci)? A good deal more interesting than computer repair. Plus, it gives you a solid background in the field (although there might be college* programs geared to game design)

*NB. Colleges in Canada are distinct from the unversities in that they focus on the trades and applied arts, as opposed to the universities which are centred on the humanities, the sciences and the professions. (Just so nobody here thinks you can major in Gameboy or something)

physics and chemistry isn't fun at all when you know up to uni standards. i already finished learning superconductivity, and my class is learning about waves. a big difference, really.

well, i can do any part if it's either electrical or computers. i know my soldering iron :) anyway, as for computers, i can do anything. really. from developing games all the way to network administrating. only thing i can't do is make silicon chips, since i never experienced that field. yet ;)

all i'm waiting for is for me to finish school and get scouted. if i don't get scouted, all fine, because i already have a software group where i can work at. and since we already have two games made, it wouldn't so hard to get sponsorships from companies temporarily so i can make more games in peace.

and although you can't major in gameboy (not until people can compete with it that is), you certainly can become a professional gamer. i wanted to be one, but realised it's long, hard road of training and just decided to let my gaming hobby to stay as an interest.
LorentzForce

Postby MillyFan » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:30 pm

Unlike almost everyone here, I don't *know* what I want to do exactly. However, I agree with djnoz in not getting your hopes up for a career in anything in the anime/games/other entertainment industry. If I can somehow get into it (see below) I would take it as a sign and use it to the best of my ability, however, if I never get the chance, that's fine too.

If I were Catholic, I'd probably sign on to one of the more service-oriented (as opposed to contemplative) orders and become a nun, LOL (surprised?).

I'm not though. Since I have a talent for writing and reading (or so I've been told, I'm not bragging on myself because I don't think I'm that talented compared to all the better people out there) and an interest in both, since I want to help people and am not very shy most of the time, I have a few different options open if I can somehow get into the community college with my math skills and with being a dropout from homeschooling (two really big ifs)

My family is pushing me to go into law, to be an attorney. While that seems mildly interesting (more for the chances I'd get to help others and for the money I might make to give to worthy causes and to travel, things I really want to do), and from what I've been reading online at various places could indeed allow me to get into the anime/entertainment industry (because there are several legal issues coming up for both fans and industry, i.e. copyright infringement, creative control, testimony in legal cases, and more).

Nevertheless, I don't know if I'm intelligent enough or would be able to financially support myself to get through 4 years of college and 4 of law school, and by the time I'd actually have a degree, I would probably be at least 30, probably 35-so all the best years of my life would be spent in education and I'd be middle-aged, more than halfway to retirement when I was just starting my career.

I've also looked into journalism: that could allow me to write and travel (both things I love) and all it requires would be two to four years in college, which would allow me to potentially graduate while I'm still in my 20s, and which would possibly give me the opportunity to help others. Problem is, I just don't know if it's for me.

I'm still undecided though, LOL. :bang:

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Benu » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:01 pm

Well I got a big future well what I'm planing to Do anyway. Well I'm planing to get my BS in Game Art and Design after finishing High School. Then try to get A job at a game studio and work My way Up to becoming a Big designer on a couple of projects, to get experience in the Game Industry. Then once God says stop or I really feel It's time. I will work on fulfilling my vision God had giving me. Opening up my own Game Studio devoted only to make Christian Games!!! I know it's gonna be rough But God has shown me that it will come to pass and be sucessful. Then when that's going good I will expand my vision or studio and open up an animation branch devoted to making Christian Anime, Manga and the like!!!!!! That's my vision God has givin me So there ya have It!
"We join the "Christian" club and separate ourselves from the world, and the world still sits on the outside, dying for someone to demonstrate what it means to believe." - Matthew Paul Turner
Benu

Postby blueraven » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:25 pm

I can't say just what I wanna be or do just yet. I've always had my eyes set high. In truth I wanna do everything!. Use to wanna be a vet, jet pilot, astronaut, classical musican, and adventurer by the time I was in 2nd grade but then I was more interested in marine biology. But as of late I'm currently "An aspiring author yet looking more into the missionary field." Oh! But I've always wanted to work with dolphins. Anywhere down the line I'm able to work with dolphins I'd be happy ^_^ Well, anywhere down the line I'm able to wok with dolphins and spread God's Word *nod nod* I'd be happy ^_^ :sweat: yes, isn't it clear that I don't think much into the future? I'll always admire those who can.
"Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
and things are not what they seem.
Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art; to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
blueraven

Postby Ashley » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:40 pm

Little known fact about Ash:
once I really, really wanted to be an astronaut, and wouldn't even consider anything else. Became a total nut over it...then I found out around 7th grade you had to be good at math AND physics AND a top athelete just to be consider. Nasa...those dreamwreckers.
Ashley

Postby blueraven » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:42 pm

lol thats was darn close to why I let go of that dream
"Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
and things are not what they seem.
Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art; to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
blueraven

Magic 8-Ball reads: "Fortune hazy. Please consult God."

Postby Erenan » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:57 pm

I want to compose music for various media: Film, games, records, etc...

I also want to found a company that produces these media, so I can be the president of the company and also the resident composer. Fun!

I also want to write prose and poetry. These items will also be produced by my company.

And in the midst of all of this, I hope to be the American ambassador to [insert country here], for which I will prepare by learning every language I possibly can, provided I can muster enough willpower to overcome my chronic laziness. *sigh*
Seven Taco Button

"'The rhodes and honkies are not effective!' Cried one of the angry women, 'Prepare the twelve foot grand!'"

Erenan, Guitar Robot and Progressive Avant-Rock Jazz Metalhead Extraordinaire
Erenan

Postby Shinja » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:06 am

my dream is to be the first person ever to jump a walmart in a rocket bus.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby sskg0tt0 » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:37 am

wanted to be a police officer.....became a chef.....learning to be a computer tech now....life can lead to odd places =)
sskg0tt0

Postby Rev. Doc » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:54 am

I want to be...a lumberjack. And I was one for about a week when I lived in Oregon. It is not a fun job. But God called me into the ministry at about age 23. I've done a lot of things before and since, but I could never do anything else.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Jephtih Mullins » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:59 am

Shinja- Best of luck to thee!

It's weird cuz most people think I should get a field in art or computers. Im not THAT good at drawing and I adore computers but I'd rather put my better talent to use ^_^
Jephtih Mullins

Postby MasterDias » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:46 pm

I'm probably going to do something with science and/or computers. I don't know though. I'm starting college this August and I am not sure yet what I want to do. Game programming sounds kind've cool.

I'm one of those people who can never make up their mind about anything.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Jephtih Mullins » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:11 am

Im like that but only when it comes to cosplaying :sweat:

I found something about voice acting on-line. There was an address that im ganna try and send a letter to...but I think it was for the person's book. But something is telling me that the lady will be the one who sees the potential...I dunno, just a feeling..
Jephtih Mullins

Next

Return to General