Smart Phones and tablets

Talk about anything in here.

Smart Phones and tablets

Postby Zeke365 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:36 am

I been wondering something how many of you do not own a smartphone or tablets (this includes all the iproducts as well)?

The reason I ask is because own neither of them and don't feel I should, but all the cool stuff comes on smartphones and tablets now and days and eventually I will have to get one but I would like to avoid it for as long as possible, I have PC that can do things for me just the same.

I have looked at oculus rift (to expensive) and samusm gear VR which I find very cool, I just wish I did not need a smartphone to do these thing with, it may just be me and my old fation thinking, what I want to know your thoughts on this

smartphones/Tablets Pros and cons.
Zeke365

Re: Smart Phones and tablets

Postby Mullet Death » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:41 pm

After owning them for a few years now I'd say smart phones and tablets, regardless of OS, are really unnecessary and overrated.

There's nothing a smart phone does other computers can't do better; its only real pro is being able to go with you almost anywhere in any situation as it fits in your pocket. Ultimately what I need a phone to do is call and text; whatever services you need in some "smart" (and that term is being used rather ironically these days, as I don't think consumer-grade computers of any kind are very smart) capacity can wait until you get where you're going, be it web services or any other application. Other than some vain purpose like having a better phone than anybody else, unless you have some specific need (like being able to access a specific application on the road for your job, as my friend who works for Dish does) then a smart phone does nothing for you as all that other stuff can be done on x86 or x86_64 when you get home, to work, or in a situation you can pull out your laptop. Emails, web browsing or looking something up, games, ebooks, whatever... That can all wait. You don't have to do all that right then and there, pinching and zooming through an inherently limited interface and control scheme, especially not when you're supposed to be driving, or eating dinner with your date. That's the conclusion I've reached; smart phones are big time wasters that tear you away from the here and now and do what more traditional computers do more poorly.

Again, the only pro a smart phone can give you is convenience. If you have need of GPS to get where you're going, then traditional GPS devices still exist for a reason. Calling and texting can be done on less expensive, more durable traditional cell phones (flip phones.) Most "apps" are time and money wasters and don't do much for productivity, much less improving your life somehow or being genuinely entertaining works of art.

Tablets are a complete joke across the board. They can appeal to people who don't understand technology much-- just press stuff on the screen, and stuff happens! No scary keyboards, mice, buttons, or command lines required! And I sometimes see them used in retail for signing stuff, taking orders and such, because apparently paper is too expensive and hard to understand. But apart from that I don't see their appeal or use. Too big to be convenient, not close enough to a real computer to be useful for anything with the slightest bit of importance.

So when you say that "all the cool stuff is on phones and tablets [nowadays]" it makes me wonder if you've really had much exposure to them. It's probably just the same old "grass is always greener" mentality ingrained in our fallen human nature. They're not really all THAT cool, and the person saying this isn't exactly some know-nothing technophobe. Honestly, I would recommend living without them if you can.

VR is a whole different ball game, but is certainly right now nothing more than an expensive vanity toy, as you're clearly aware. I have no personal exposure to VR gear, but I was under the impression you don't need a smartphone to use them. It's not as if the hardware in a phone is going to power a VR experience... What you will need is money hand over fist and a rather powerful PC, and most VR setups will require a Windows PC in particular at that. This is not to suggest that horror games with VR for example would not be pretty cool, because they certainly would be. Anything by Frictional Games would be especially legit. That would be cool, but not cool enough for me to dish out the cash any time soon.

I think it goes without saying that nothing I have submitted here claims to be objective, if value statements about smart phones and the other technology discussed here could ever be considered objective in the first place.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Mullet Death » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:50 pm

I will also add, while we're on the subject of "smart" technology, that it's also pretty pointless in TVs.
Last edited by Mullet Death on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mullet Death

Postby IPv4 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:53 pm

why smartphone?

-GPS

-LOTS AND LOTS of different SENSORS in the phone that a computer dont have which allows you to make apps that CANT EXIST on a computer,
e.g. the phone (ok, MY phone) has a gyroscope which can be used when making apps.

-Mobility
IPv4

Postby Mullet Death » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:01 pm

IPv4 wrote:why smartphone?

-GPS

Ever heard of a Garmin?

Mullet Death

Postby Ante Bellum » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:53 pm

I have a Garmin. Never before has a resistive touch screen been so resistant.
(It sucks.)
Ante Bellum

Postby MomentOfInertia » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:15 pm

Yeah, I don't get the smart TV thing either.

Have a smartphone considering a tablet.

Smartphones are phones that you can use to look things up on, record things, etc. The biggest thing I get out of mine beyond talk/text is an mp3 player to play my podcasts on my commute and an internet device that still works on those occasions when I lose power at home. It also lets me check my email more quickly one the way out out in the morning, as my laptop takes a few minutes to come up.

Pros: It's a phone! fits in your pocket! GPS, MP3 player, internet reader, etc.
Cons: Jack of all trades, master of none. And it's a single point of failure, it breaks and everything's gone. tiny screen.

Tablets. I'm thinking about getting one as a way to transition my reading from paper to eboks without losing the mobility. For other people I'd consider it sufficient for checking email,and facebook and watching netflix/hulu/crunchyroll. (esp. CR).

Pros: bigger screen, portable like a book, more power, still has most of the capabilities of a smartphone.
Cons: still far weaker that a proper computer, no good input device for active operations.

---

One of the problems with smartphones & tablets is that they only have one interface, whereas a PC or laptop has two. A PC can optimize it's screen to convey information (size, resolution, location, etc) without impairing the function of the input interface. A smart device an only perform input or output actions at any one time. ...And you leave thumbprints all over the screen.

*shrug* Each has its place. I suspect that tablets are going to eat the market out from under netbooks in the next few years. But that's just me.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Okami » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:37 pm

Typing this from my microcomputer...I mean, LG G3.

My husband and I don't have wifi or cable and we're perfectly happy....though, when our niece and nephew found out they thought we were nuts. :lol:

I'd say 9 times out of 10, you'll see me here via my phone and it's been that way for well over a year now! :)
Okami

Postby Sheenar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:00 pm

I have a smartphone --I just got my first one in Feb. of last year, so arrived a bit late to the party. But I got one mainly for ease of coordinating my appointments, using apps, and being able to check email or look up a phone number in a pinch (I go downtown to the Medical Center a lot).

I much prefer typing on a laptop and using my laptop for Internet usage at home --it's much easier to type on a laptop, I can see the webpages and emails much more easily, etc. Laptop is better for gaming, word processing, etc. as well. The smartphone gets frustrating at times when trying to type or trying to make things bigger/smaller and it definitely isn't as easy viewing webpages on a phone.

But the smartphone has proven to be useful. I have an app, for example, that reminds me to take my medications, has my med list, and I can keep track of things like my blood pressure, pain levels, sleep, etc. and show my doctors (my cardiologist was impressed with the app's chart showing my blood pressure over time). I also can take a document that I created on my laptop, save it to Google Drive, and then pull it up on my phone --very handy for my weekly group meetings --as I'd have trouble carrying my laptop with me, plus I can pull up the document on my phone even though the building has no Wi-Fi.

It was also helpful on the long bus ride to Austin and back --was able to listen to music, which helped the trip go so much better (wasn't as anxious). Sure, I could go get an MP3 player, but it's nice to have a device that can do multiple things --a multitasker, as Alton Brown would say (he doesn't like unitaskers in the kitchen --appliances and tools that have only one use).

I don't have much experience with tablets --just when I go to the hospital and they use one to have you sign your life away on all those permission forms. :P
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Xeno » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:01 pm

Smartphones and tablets make sense in a lot of ways. Society in modernized countries is becoming more and more "connected" and so having devices with you constantly that can access the Internet, where everything is connected, isn't really that weird. Internet connected "smart tvs" or "smart fridges" are dumb. Those things never need to be on the Internet, so they shouldn't have the ability. There are more points I could make, but I'm sick as a dog right now and my brains are getting jumbled up in my thought.
Xeno

Postby Jonathan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:42 pm

Mullet Death wrote:After owning them for a few years now I'd say smart phones and tablets, regardless of OS, are really unnecessary and overrated.

There's nothing a smart phone does other computers can't do better; its only real pro is being able to go with you almost anywhere in any situation as it fits in your pocket. Ultimately what I need a phone to do is call and text; whatever services you need in some "smart" (and that term is being used rather ironically these days, as I don't think consumer-grade computers of any kind are very smart) capacity can wait until you get where you're going, be it web services or any other application. Other than some vain purpose like having a better phone than anybody else, unless you have some specific need (like being able to access a specific application on the road for your job, as my friend who works for Dish does) then a smart phone does nothing for you as all that other stuff can be done on x86 or x86_64 when you get home, to work, or in a situation you can pull out your laptop. Emails, web browsing or looking something up, games, ebooks, whatever... That can all wait. You don't have to do all that right then and there, pinching and zooming through an inherently limited interface and control scheme, especially not when you're supposed to be driving, or eating dinner with your date. That's the conclusion I've reached; smart phones are big time wasters that tear you away from the here and now and do what more traditional computers do more poorly.

Again, the only pro a smart phone can give you is convenience. If you have need of GPS to get where you're going, then traditional GPS devices still exist for a reason. Calling and texting can be done on less expensive, more durable traditional cell phones (flip phones.) Most "apps" are time and money wasters and don't do much for productivity, much less improving your life somehow or being genuinely entertaining works of art.

Tablets are a complete joke across the board. They can appeal to people who don't understand technology much-- just press stuff on the screen, and stuff happens! No scary keyboards, mice, buttons, or command lines required! And I sometimes see them used in retail for signing stuff, taking orders and such, because apparently paper is too expensive and hard to understand. But apart from that I don't see their appeal or use. Too big to be convenient, not close enough to a real computer to be useful for anything with the slightest bit of importance.

So when you say that "all the cool stuff is on phones and tablets [nowadays]" it makes me wonder if you've really had much exposure to them. It's probably just the same old "grass is always greener" mentality ingrained in our fallen human nature. They're not really all THAT cool, and the person saying this isn't exactly some know-nothing technophobe. Honestly, I would recommend living without them if you can.

VR is a whole different ball game, but is certainly right now nothing more than an expensive vanity toy, as you're clearly aware. I have no personal exposure to VR gear, but I was under the impression you don't need a smartphone to use them. It's not as if the hardware in a phone is going to power a VR experience... What you will need is money hand over fist and a rather powerful PC, and most VR setups will require a Windows PC in particular at that. This is not to suggest that horror games with VR for example would not be pretty cool, because they certainly would be. Anything by Frictional Games would be especially legit. That would be cool, but not cool enough for me to dish out the cash any time soon.

I think it goes without saying that nothing I have submitted here claims to be objective, if value statements about smart phones and the other technology discussed here could ever be considered objective in the first place.

I agree with Mulletdeath on Smartphones and Tablets, I've never really had an interest in getting them because I prefer Laptops more. I don't even have a Cellphone nor do I want one.
The point imho of phones is to call people, I don't want to watch videos on a phone or read books on a phone, That's actually another thing too, I don't really care for E-Books in general as I've seen Free Previews of them but I'm extremely unimpressed so far.
I respect all these things but it's just not my type of thing.
I don't really have an opinion on Smart TV's as I've never had one.
And Xeno, What exactly are these "Smart Fridges" you mentioned?
"And Jesus said unto him, 'Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God."-Mark 10:18

"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the son, but the father."-Mark 13:32

"Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."-John 14:28
Jonathan

Postby Xeno » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:29 am

They're internet connected refrigerators. They usually sync with like Google Calendar so it keeps your calendar on the outside door. Some will take a picture of the inside of your fridge and text/email it to you so you can see what you're running low on. It's all pretty dumb.
Xeno

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:01 pm

Mullet Death wrote:
IPv4 wrote:why smartphone?

-GPS

Ever heard of a Garmin?

Ever heard of a GPS that you have to pay to update yearly? That's the old school GPS systems. I still use mine but it's pretty annoying when the place you're going doesn't exist in the program, or worse when you're somewhere you don't know well and trying to use the local search features to find food/gas and the area has either developed or collapsed in the last year or so and the GPS you're using is sending you to stuff that doesn't exist anymore, or doesn't know that there's a new *fill in blank here*. I don't have a smartphone currently but you could bet I'd be using it for many of the features I use my GPS for since the map programs are regularly updated for little to no cost. They do have a subscription now but it's an extra hundred on top of the device, and when I bought mine, didn't exist, so the updates were 40-100 dollars a year.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Zeke365 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:51 am

Thanks for all your answers, it was something that had been bothering me over the last few months. I made a decision not to get smartphones or tablets and the more people I talk to say it was very smart decision to do so though not easy since the world seems to be headed in that direction in some sense not all.

The Vr is really cool but all require smartphone with apps to play with it viewmaster, googlecardboard box, samausm gear VR, ect. and alot apps look fun to play on smartphones but I do not want smartphone to require to play them.

so thanks again for your help on this.
Zeke365

Postby Jonathan » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:33 am

Xeno wrote:They're internet connected refrigerators. They usually sync with like Google Calendar so it keeps your calendar on the outside door. Some will take a picture of the inside of your fridge and text/email it to you so you can see what you're running low on. It's all pretty dumb.

I agree, I think when "Smart" Technology is getting to the point of having Smart Fridges, Smart Toilets, (I wish I was joking..) and even Smart Clothes, That's pointless!
I seriously think that Smart Technology is going too far.
"And Jesus said unto him, 'Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God."-Mark 10:18

"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the son, but the father."-Mark 13:32

"Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."-John 14:28
Jonathan

Postby ADXC » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:24 pm

It's kinda interesting that you're willing to shell out for an expensive VR set, but not a smart phone when a smart phone is infinitely more practical IMO.
ADXC

Postby Zeke365 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:55 pm

think of it this way a smartphone and tablet is the same thing I do on regular PC so what the point in it. Though owning a vr set would add an experience that never been done before, that and I cant take it with me which I m okay with staying at home though be neat if it is portable.
Zeke365

Postby ADXC » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:59 pm

But the thing is I'm hardly ever around my PC so most of the time I'm using my phone on the fly. Mobility is the important thing to keep in mind with smart devices. For instance, I may get on my computer once or twice a day, but I check my phone throughout the day with questions I have or information regarding people I follow. Because of the ease of using my phone instead of my computer with every single question that I may have, I save a lot of time and am able to do more things that I used to be able to do.

I remember the days of using just a computer for my information needs. Never again.
ADXC

Postby Xeno » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:50 pm

The mobility aspect really is the main thing to keep in mind. You don't have to worry about finding wifi hotspots, you don't need to carry it around in a bag everywhere you go, and the batteries "should" last you all day. On days that I'm working I might spend all of 30 minutes on my computer, but I'm on my phone most of the time that I'm at work; on the flip side though, on my days off my phone sometimes is barely touched because I'm usually in front of my computer so my iPhone is just for phone calls and an occasional text message at those times.
Xeno

Postby Thunderscream872 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:11 am

Mullet Death wrote:There's nothing a smart phone does other computers can't do better;

Well, there's nothing a cooler can do that a refrigerator can't do better, but do you take your refrigerator to parties or family events? Probably not, I hope.

I don't think anyone who is remotely knowledgeable is gonna try to say they can do everything better on their smart phone or tablet, but, the thing is, I can't take my laptop with me everywhere. How else am I supposed to kill time and avoid interacting with people?

But seriously, it helps me be productive in situations where I normally couldn't be. I can possibly work on college or job-related stuff, do a little bit of writing, catch up on whatever shows I'm watching, check the weather, Google anything at any time--making me smarter...my phone improves my quality of life.

Xeno wrote: on my days off my phone sometimes is barely touched because I'm usually in front of my computer so my iPhone is just for phone calls and an occasional text message at those times.

Same here. If I'm at home sometimes I won't even turn my phone on for the first four hours of the day, and its loaded up with text messages by the time I get to looking at it, lol.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Zeke365 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:43 am

good to every one enjoying the conversation but my gripe is that smartphones and tablets seems to isolate a person (not all the time) but when was the last time you watch a movie at home with everyone watching the movie? Now in days people have Tv on as background noise while playing on there ipads, tablets and smartphones and still say there watching TV. Not say smartphones and tablets are bad if used right.

Though I miss the days in which you can interact with someone out side of the social network (not there bad) , or everyone enjoy a movie together, or even family dinner without tablets and smartphones taking over your life, Now I m 90's child and grew up that era, so it shows you what I think should return.
Zeke365

Postby Xeno » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:29 pm

On my days off I spent at least one day with my grandparents and we usually have a family dinner when I visit, and the rule is no phones. I leave it in my pocket or in another room during dinner, because that's family time. It's not hard to set restrictions for yourself with these kinds of things. They're tools, and it's entirely up to the user to determine how and when they're are used. You make it sound like smartphones and tablets are the cause of individual isolation, when really they just make it easier to do. People can opt to sit at their computer and eat, rather than interacting with family, and the same is true for watching movies or whatever.

It's fine is you don't have one or don't want one for some particular reason, but don't make it seem like they're the root of something when they aren't. I'm a child of the late-80s and 90s, my family didn't have a traditional computer until 1999, so I understand where you're coming from, but your gripes mostly have to do with the attitudes and mentalities of those born after 2000 along with millennial-parents, and how everything has shifted to cater to those demographics.
Xeno

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:58 pm

I hate [new thing]! I want things to return to [time when I grew up and was most impressionable] so I don't have to deal with [new thing]!
Ante Bellum

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:51 am

This is simply not a problem with the devices themselves. If you want to have a dinner with people without your phones out let them know that. Same with watching a movie at the house, if you want a device free watching time, and emphasize conversing about the movie more, then let the people you're watching with know if it's that important to you. Just communicate that to people and if they respect you it should be something that can be worked out. It can be a little strange for some people to let go of the various communications in your phone or iPad, but it's far from impossible or even difficult especially over a 30 minute meal.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Return to General