study abroad

Talk about anything in here.

study abroad

Postby IPv4 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:08 pm

okey so I got the oppurtunity now to apply for exchange studies, I was thinking about whether I should put this thread in the prayer or general section but in the end I chose to make this thread here.

Where should I go and why? Is there really any bad universities in japan (tokyo)?
Last edited by IPv4 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IPv4

Re: study abroad

Postby Xeno » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:52 pm

I'm sure there are bad universities everywhere, though I've never heard of any bad ones in Japan, specifically Tokyo. That said, is there a particular reason you're wanting to study abroad in Japan? The people I know that have done study abroad programs usually go somewhere in Europe, usually to Paris and occasionally to a school in Germany.

I'm assuming you're American, does Japan have something there specifically that you need for your degree, or is this just an opportunity to get to stay in Japan for a while? Either answer is okay, but if you're looking to do this for college, then I'd first find out if there is a school either in Japan, or somewhere else, that will help you achieve your major first.
Xeno

Postby IPv4 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:18 am

Xeno wrote:I'm sure there are bad universities everywhere, though I've never heard of any bad ones in Japan, specifically Tokyo. That said, is there a particular reason you're wanting to study abroad in Japan? The people I know that have done study abroad programs usually go somewhere in Europe, usually to Paris and occasionally to a school in Germany.

I'm assuming you're American, does Japan have something there specifically that you need for your degree, or is this just an opportunity to get to stay in Japan for a while? Either answer is okay, but if you're looking to do this for college, then I'd first find out if there is a school either in Japan, or somewhere else, that will help you achieve your major first.

Studying abroad (in my case) will be done the third year in university. I want to study in Japan because theres a lot of things to see and do there. However it is also a great merit to have studied in an Asian country (not that I really care though). There is nothing I need for some kind of degree and to be honest I dont have a full grasp of the whole "college" concept.

Despite my perfect english :cool:, I'm actually Swedish, therefore European countries don't have that much appeal to me. I could, whenever I wish to, move to and work in any EU country without any kind of permission. Just to brag I should also mention that I could work in super-rich Norway even though thats not an EU country.

Some of my fears when it comes to studying in Japan is the communication problems, where I will live, what if I regret studying there etc.

I either want to study in Japan or the USA (I couldnt choose Canada :().

edit: Apperently I could choose Canada, hmm O_o.
IPv4

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:14 am

I was like "dang how are you paying for this?" But then you said you were Swedish. The American college system is so friggen backwards and expensive and I'm in so much debt right now. I'm jealous, haha. Not that I'm assuming that you're debt free or whatever. Apparently Sweden had a high cost of living. Whatever I'm just griping.

If I could study abroad anywhere, I think I would pick either Denmark or France or Germany. Dang. Wish I cold do that... haha. I say go for it. It's really now or never. I say pick the scariest option which leaves you the most vulnerable (that is still in the realm of safety). Discomfort is always a good place for growth and learning.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Nate » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:44 pm

I'd study abroad if you know what I mean.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Anirac » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:52 pm

I can talk about my studying abroad experience in Canada: so cool I did it twice. First time in Burnaby, BC, (high school) and second time in Sherbrooke, QC (university). I found that both times I made more international friends than Canadian friends. Not that they are hostile or xenophobic, they just tend to keep it to themselves and respect personal space. They get enough foreigners that they're neither curious nor ignorant anymore :P Most of the time it will be you who will start the conversation with them. I'm living in Canada now and it still is like this.

University can be a stressful environment, since it's expensive and people are trying to get the most of it. Parties, soirées, 5 à 8s were very common, we had one almost every week where you just go, have some drinks, eat some pizza, just relax after classes. My campus had a theatre, a sports centre, and beautiful, beautiful gardens. I lived on campus when I was there and I itch to go back! I miss that place so much...

The town was kind of small though. All the big, interesting stuff happened in Montréal, 2hs away. Not super far, but you have to plan a little bit before going. If you do end up in Canada and happen to choose the Université de Sherbrooke, I'll be happy to share some more tips with you!

As for tips on living in Japan, you could search Youtube, there's plenty of vlogs. My favourite one is Rachel&Jun!

*forgot to mention: while in Montréal you can often get away with speaking English, Sherbrooke is not always so forgiving...
Anirac

Postby IPv4 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:05 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I was like "dang how are you paying for this?" But then you said you were Swedish. The American college system is so friggen backwards and expensive and I'm in so much debt right now. I'm jealous, haha. Not that I'm assuming that you're debt free or whatever. Apparently Sweden had a high cost of living. Whatever I'm just griping.

If I could study abroad anywhere, I think I would pick either Denmark or France or Germany. Dang. Wish I cold do that... haha. I say go for it. It's really now or never. I say pick the scariest option which leaves you the most vulnerable (that is still in the realm of safety). Discomfort is always a good place for growth and learning.

Yes, not only is university completely free, but I also get paid 375$ every month while going to university. If I study abroad I get paid even more...

Anirac wrote:I can talk about my studying abroad experience in Canada: so cool I did it twice. First time in Burnaby, BC, (high school) and second time in Sherbrooke, QC (university). I found that both times I made more international friends than Canadian friends. Not that they are hostile or xenophobic, they just tend to keep it to themselves and respect personal space. They get enough foreigners that they're neither curious nor ignorant anymore :P Most of the time it will be you who will start the conversation with them. I'm living in Canada now and it still is like this.

University can be a stressful environment, since it's expensive and people are trying to get the most of it. Parties, soirées, 5 à 8s were very common, we had one almost every week where you just go, have some drinks, eat some pizza, just relax after classes. My campus had a theatre, a sports centre, and beautiful, beautiful gardens. I lived on campus when I was there and I itch to go back! I miss that place so much...

The town was kind of small though. All the big, interesting stuff happened in Montréal, 2hs away. Not super far, but you have to plan a little bit before going. If you do end up in Canada and happen to choose the Université de Sherbrooke, I'll be happy to share some more tips with you!

As for tips on living in Japan, you could search Youtube, there's plenty of vlogs. My favourite one is Rachel&Jun!

*forgot to mention: while in Montréal you can often get away with speaking English, Sherbrooke is not always so forgiving...

interesting.
IPv4

Postby IPv4 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:39 pm

kinda 1337 Courses at my current University in Sweden, hmm but I also want to travel x__x
IPv4

Return to General