Loss of passion/depression

Talk about anything in here.

Loss of passion/depression

Postby silvershock95 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:54 am

Hi guys, so I hate that I probably sound really self-focused here, but I'm in need for some desperate advice...

So, I've always wanted a career in the media, most likely film and script-writing. I've been at university for about a month now doing media production, and I've been so passionate about wanting to write meaningful stories up until now.

Now, baring in mind this was long before I was taking my faith seriously; I've started going back to Church and reading through the Bible properly.

However, something's come out of nowhere and is tugging at my heart. Since I started studying I've found myself almost becoming cynical about the subject and I'm losing the spark inside of me. I always thought this was a 'bad' career for a Christian to go into, considering it's technically the entertainment industry, but then I remember I had two Christian friends who studied media at school with me (though they're studying law and computer science) plus there are Christians in Hollywood who have had success and are strong in their faith. I've prayed about it but I'm still uncertain if this is my own desire or what God wants me to do. Like, can I still make films that make people laugh and smile whilst still putting virtuous morals in? As in Disney for example? I mean I want to make at least one thing that will turn people to God y'know?

It's seriously making me depressed to the point where I feel sick- if anyone has any answers at all I would be truly grateful.
silvershock95

Re: Loss of passion/depression

Postby Furen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:47 am

Well, I can't say I have answers, but if you really want to do this, you can really be a shining light in the industry, but you have to be willing to have a very solid foundation in your faith, with either a great mentor, church members, pastor, or personal growth. Going into any job can be tough as a Christian sharing the good news of Christ.

I wish you the best going forward
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby silvershock95 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:16 am

Furen wrote:Well, I can't say I have answers, but if you really want to do this, you can really be a shining light in the industry, but you have to be willing to have a very solid foundation in your faith, with either a great mentor, church members, pastor, or personal growth. Going into any job can be tough as a Christian sharing the good news of Christ.

I wish you the best going forward

Thank you, and yeah it's very tough. Extremely tough in fact.

I'm just finding it very difficult to put my faith first in my time at university and in my career, I really don't understand how to do it :?:
silvershock95

Postby drill » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:49 am

I find it interesting that every student that is studying media all say the same exact thing. "How can I put virtuous things in the film to turn people to God." More than likely, you are not going to be the script writer, so technically you can't do what you are proposing. However, what you can do, just like everyone else, is make it clear to your coworkers where you stand in your faith. Challenge them with spiritual things, and let God work through you to bring them to Him.
drill

Postby silvershock95 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:53 am

drill wrote:I find it interesting that every student that is studying media all say the same exact thing. "How can I put virtuous things in the film to turn people to God." More than likely, you are not going to be the script writer, so technically you can't do what you are proposing. However, what you can do, just like everyone else, is make it clear to your coworkers where you stand in your faith. Challenge them with spiritual things, and let God work through you to bring them to Him.

Yeah true, though I'm really feeling like script-writing is my forte. I just hope I can end up with that kind of work! I mean, there are other issues in the modern world (like caring for nature, etc.) is something I'd like to be part of my stories too. I'm just scared of working in an industry that won't support my faith, or that I won't find any other Christians in the same industry as me. I pray that I will though as I can't do this journey by myself!
silvershock95

Postby Anirac » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:37 pm

silvershock95 wrote:I'm just scared of working in an industry that won't support my faith, or that I won't find any other Christians in the same industry as me. I pray that I will though as I can't do this journey by myself!

"Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong. Let all that you do be done with love." (1 Corinthians 16:13-14)

University years are years of anxiety. We are told to go out there and be big, make a difference, create a trend, be the next Steve Jobs. Some will shine like lighthouses. Others will be as dim as a candle. Others might be the elusive glow of a firefly. If you are the firefly, you should not be anxious that you are not a candle or a lighthouse.

"But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills. For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members are one body, so also is Christ." (1 Corinthians 12:4-12)

The important thing is to keep that light shining and out there :)

"You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16)

I say use your script-writing gift. But if uncertainty is still biting you, then I suggest you either ask God for guidance or go explore your other abilities. Who knows what you might find? ^^
Anirac

Postby silvershock95 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:03 pm

Thank you all so so much for helping me through with this. Just proves how much the Bible really helps, huh? :)

I'll definitely keep those words in mind and keep them to heart. And I'll keep striving forward no matter what! I'll keep praying that God will guide my steps and help me to land in the right kind of job for him. Something that will benefit others more than myself.

God bless you all x
silvershock95

Postby Dante » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:10 pm

Markets exist for Christian media, writing and surely, screen writing. Target that market and find out how to get in if that's who you truly want to write for and what you have a talent for. However, if it turns out you have more of a talent for secular writing (or something else) then that's what you have a talent for. If you found a way to survive in this world using your God-given talents then, hooray! In fact, if you get out of school and find a fairly good job period, then hooray! Most people don't have jobs evangelizing the world through their work, most of us just have enough trouble trying to survive. But at least you're not alone in that struggle. In the meantime, all we can really do is pray the world gets better while doing the best we can.
Dante

Postby silvershock95 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:12 pm

Dante wrote:Markets exist for Christian media, writing and surely, screen writing. Target that market and find out how to get in if that's who you truly want to write for and what you have a talent for. However, if it turns out you have more of a talent for secular writing (or something else) then that's what you have a talent for. If you found a way to survive in this world using your God-given talents then, hooray! In fact, if you get out of school and find a fairly good job period, then hooray! Most people don't have jobs evangelizing the world through their work, most of us just have enough trouble trying to survive. But at least you're not alone in that struggle. In the meantime, all we can really do is pray the world gets better while doing the best we can.

Yeah, and thank you! I'd probably stick to secular stuff for the time being until I can truly learn and understand about my faith, THEN I can write stories based on Christianity alone rather than just its values. I'm naturally a very creative person and this is something I've always wanted to do-- I literally can't think of any other job I'd rather be doing (excluding volunteer work) and English maybe. Still, I'll continue to strive for it! And I pray that others, whether in the media industry or not, can live their lives happily and fulfilled in whatever they do.
silvershock95

Postby scribbledreamer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:51 pm

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm majoring in creative writing, which is definitely my passion. I actually think we need more Christians in the entertainment industry - not necessarily in the "Christian market." Most of my favorite bands are Christians who sing about very real, raw subjects, but still show hope. And that's ultimately what I want to do with writing. I want to write something that's "secular," in that it appeals to a broad audience, but points people to God and the hope that's found in Him. I completely understand your point about wanting to make at least one thing that turns people to God. And I think with the entertainment industry (or anything, really) it's easy to get caught up in success, etc. But I believe that God's given all of us passions for a reason and we should use those to glorify Him. If script-writing is your passion, He can definitely use it! Good luck with everything!
scribbledreamer

Postby silvershock95 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:13 pm

scribbledreamer wrote:I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm majoring in creative writing, which is definitely my passion. I actually think we need more Christians in the entertainment industry - not necessarily in the "Christian market." Most of my favorite bands are Christians who sing about very real, raw subjects, but still show hope. And that's ultimately what I want to do with writing. I want to write something that's "secular," in that it appeals to a broad audience, but points people to God and the hope that's found in Him. I completely understand your point about wanting to make at least one thing that turns people to God. And I think with the entertainment industry (or anything, really) it's easy to get caught up in success, etc. But I believe that God's given all of us passions for a reason and we should use those to glorify Him. If script-writing is your passion, He can definitely use it! Good luck with everything!

HELLO I think you and I could be great friends :O

That is exactly my point of view here. Are you a fresher/freshman at university then? Oh man I love Skillet, even though heavy rock isn't really my thing. I love Imagine Dragons too, they're mah fav band <3 Anyway, yeah that's why I'm kinda nervous about entering the industry. I mean of course I wanna be successful, but not in the way that I'm gonna be some massive Hollywood Celebrity or anything...that kind of life doesn't appeal to me. Problem is, I found that working for a big industry means that things are likely to get spread to the masses, yet some of them will try to corrupt/manipulate your moral values...and with smaller industries, I find they're usually more 'moralistic' in their ways but that means it's harder to get stuff out to an audience. It's an extremely difficult situation where I think there's not really a place in-between the two. Still, we carry on and trust that God will lead us in the right direction! I guess it's why we pray to be lead not into temptation, after all.

Thank you very much for the response, and good luck to you too!
silvershock95

Postby scribbledreamer » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:05 pm

Heh, I agree! :)

I am! And cool - I saw Skillet in concert several years ago, before I really knew who they were. They were really good, though! And exactly - I mean, you want to make a living, but at the same time...popularity has its downfalls. Yeah, I agree. And I'm guessing it's probably even harder to deal with in your field. I think there will definitely be struggles, but also really great opportunities.
scribbledreamer

Postby silvershock95 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:12 pm

Oh wow, I bet they were amazing :O Yeah exactly! It's hard, but I'm gonna keep going at it and not give up! I just hope that with whatever I do it'll actually make somewhat of a difference in this world. I would absolutely hate to appear before God and say that my works made money yet didn't do a thing...it's one of my biggest fears to be honest. Then again, I'd rather say 'I tried' than I didn't try at all...but that's still not good enough. It has to make an impact otherwise it would be pointless.

And hey, if you ever wanna PM me so we can chat please feel free! ^^
silvershock95

Postby Zeke365 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:02 pm

I know of a site that might help you guys in this, it machinima site (type of animation not quite the same) that you might be interested in it called TMunderground and it group of people who love making original movies and stuff. They can help you with production, voice acting, music, and other neat stuff. Understand it not a christian site but it an easy way to get your stuff out there and use YouTube and vimeo since the upload does not work and embbed into the site and you will have reviews from many people. Now this is not for the faint heart what I mean is you must be ready to receive harsh criticize and learn from it. I did learned the hard way. I do I have couple of movies uploaded there under zeke365 so be sure to check them out.

here a link I hope this helps anyone who wants to get involved http://www.tmunderground.com/index.php
Zeke365

Postby WorldsTraveler » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:31 pm

I, too, am in the storytelling field. When I expressed similar concerns to my ballet teacher (a Christian dancer), she suggested I get a book titled Imagine: A Vision for Christians in the Arts by Steve Turner. It was absolutely worth the read; it soothe my fears and answered many of my questions.

I’m preparing to launch a blog about the art of story writing and, hopefully, a small business after that. It’s definitely a ‘joint-venture’ between myself and God. I couldn’t do this without His vision backing me up. It also helps to have a supportive business partner to encourage me, and to know of other artists and writers who have succeeded before. And I hope that as my style of writing and beliefs become clear, I’ll attract like-minded writers who share similar visions. Basically, I don’t intend to do this alone. I find that brings a lot of comfort. ^^
WorldsTraveler

Postby silvershock95 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:27 pm

@Zeke365

That's fantastic! Thank you so much! I'll be sure to check out your link sometime! :O

@WorldsTraveler

That book sounds very helpful, I'll definitely have to get round to buying that! You should definitely post a link to that blog, I'd be very much interested in reading it! Yeah, it definitely helps to have support. I mean, I have very little experience but if you'd ever like help with anything in that field then all you need to do is ask!

You guys don't know how grateful I am for all these comments, it's seriously helped me a whole lot ^^
silvershock95

Postby WorldsTraveler » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:33 am

silvershock95 wrote:That book sounds very helpful, I'll definitely have to get round to buying that! You should definitely post a link to that blog, I'd be very much interested in reading it! Yeah, it definitely helps to have support. I mean, I have very little experience but if you'd ever like help with anything in that field then all you need to do is ask!

Thank you for your interest! I’m on schedule to launch the site in January. I’ll definitely be posting an announcement in the Links thread once it’s live.

And I think I’ll take you up on that offer! Don’t be surprised if I PM you. (BTW so excited to have found another Pokemon Special reader!)
WorldsTraveler

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:46 pm

The funny thing is I've had that fear too silvershock. I want to do a little bit of everything, art, writing, animation, directing, singing, acting, etc if possible and I've often had those same problems. To me, I think of it like this: everything we do affects others. Be it in a good way or in a bad way. I think it's a matter of trying your best and having good intentions as much as possible. Heck, just being a good, fun, and kind person can potentially peek someone's interest into this God you worship. Just pray. And in the end, I think if you write, write stories with good morals and someone, somewhere out there will be touched by it. I'm certain of it. Wishing and praying for your best. Hope I helped a bit. :)
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby silvershock95 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:19 am

@Worlds Traveler

Ahh I can't wait to see it! Oh I don't really read the Special manga on a regular basis, I just play the games from time-to-time ^^

@PLCDreamcatcher14

Thank you ever so much! It really helped me out to know that I'm not the only one who's going through this! Let's make it so that we all help and support each other yes? And definitely, I mean nowadays there is such a broad range of media outlets which is a very powerful tool. When such a thing is used for good intentions, it can certainly bring about hope and change to others! Of course, not one person can change the world completely, but I guess if it can at least change one person's life, then it's better than not having tried at all! :) Though hopefully it will inspire more than just one person! There's so much pressure on young people especially and I really think it can be changed, little by little.
silvershock95

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:43 am

silvershock95 wrote:@PLCDreamcatcher14

Thank you ever so much! It really helped me out to know that I'm not the only one who's going through this!

You're welcome!

silvershock95 wrote:Let's make it so that we all help and support each other yes?

Yes!.

silvershock95 wrote: And definitely, I mean nowadays there is such a broad range of media outlets which is a very powerful tool. When such a thing is used for good intentions, it can certainly bring about hope and change to others! Of course, not one person can change the world completely, but I guess if it can at least change one person's life, then it's better than not having tried at all! :) Though hopefully it will inspire more than just one person! There's so much pressure on young people especially and I really think it can be changed, little by little.

True. :rock:
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:35 pm

WorldsTraveler wrote:I, too, am in the storytelling field. When I expressed similar concerns to my ballet teacher (a Christian dancer), she suggested I get a book titled Imagine: A Vision for Christians in the Arts by Steve Turner. It was absolutely worth the read; it soothe my fears and answered many of my questions.

Oh thank goodness someone else who's heard of this book.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Return to General