How to describe fandoms

Talk about anything in here.

How to describe fandoms

Postby LastLfan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:56 am

Okay, a couple of my friends want to know more about my fandoms so I'm putting together a book of sorts of all my different fandoms. I want to list basic info about all of them so I need help with what to put for the following

Anime
Tokusatsu
Pokemon
Code lyoko
Yu-Gi-oh!
Gone
Hunger games
Total drama

Help on describing any of these would be great
LastLfan

Re: How to describe fandoms

Postby Xeno » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:22 am

Several of those are anime, so why is anime listed as it's own thing? Separately, when did everyone switch from just liking something to being in "fandoms". I mean, I'm a pretty big Trekkie and have been for a long time, but I certainly wouldn't describe myself as being in a Star Trek fandom.

Anyway,

Anime - Japanese cartoons. No real particular style to them as it's changed appearance over the decades and different artists do different things.
Pokemon - An anime that started as a companion series to a children's video game for the Nintendo Gameboy about capturing and battling monsters.
Hunger Games - Young adult novels turned into movies about a society that pits teenagers against one another in a giant death match every year.
Xeno

Postby LastLfan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:13 pm

Well pokemon i meant as the gaming side, all the rest aren't anime and thanks
LastLfan

Postby yukoxholic » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:49 pm

Code Lyoko = French animated CGI show about kids saving the world via cyberspace.
Yu-Gi-Oh - A Japanese series that crossed over to America with an English dub about dueling via a card game to save the world.

If you get to specific with fandoms people are generally turned off. Keep it short, sweet, and to the point. Also, though most books in general get lumped into a 'fandom' they technically do not need to have their own 'fandom' unless a movie is attached. With a 'book turned movie' fandom the movie becomes the focus rather than the books. For most readers of YA series the book readers are more of a community for the general love of the series while not technically getting caught up in the tie in movies. ^_^ I hope that makes sense!
yukoxholic

Return to General