(Not) Halloween

Talk about anything in here.

(Not) Halloween

Postby ClaecElric4God » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:57 pm

This question is in no way, shape or form intended to be theological, philosophical, argumentative, or otherwise controversial. Sorry if it comes across that way.

But I'm just curious, is anyone else not celebrating Halloween?
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Re: (Not) Halloween

Postby drill » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:05 pm

That is correct, I'm not celebrating Halloween either. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it's a family tradition to watch a Christmas movie though, it would be interesting to see if we do that again.
drill

Postby Okami » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:53 pm

I'll be spending my Halloween preparing for Youmacon this weekend. :)
Okami

Postby goldenspines » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:54 pm

I can easily get away with avoiding Halloween stuffs since I live in the middle of nowhere and we don't get any trick or treaters coming to our door. XD For the past few years, I haven't really done anything for the day beyond using it as an excuse to buy some KitKat bars. *_*

Personally, I don't mind celebrating the holiday and would love to dress up in costume and go to parties, but sadly I don't have much time for stuff like that nowadays.
goldenspines

Postby Xeno » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:57 pm

I don't celebrate Halloween because I always end up working the night of.
Xeno

Postby Crossfire » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:47 pm

If by "celebrating halloween" you mean go trick-or-treating, I would have to answer no. Never was interested in it as a kid, costumes aside.
Crossfire

Postby Banana Lobster » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:42 pm

goldenspines wrote:I can easily get away with avoiding Halloween stuffs since I live in the middle of nowhere and we don't get any trick or treaters coming to our door. XD For the past few years, I haven't really done anything for the day beyond using it as an excuse to buy some KitKat bars. *_*

This is basically my Halloween right here. :XD:
Banana Lobster

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:31 pm

I had to dress up for a Halloween party at work last weekend, but other than that I don't celebrate in particular. Trick-or-treating isn't a big thing here in Japan anyway.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Sheenar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:45 pm

I'm working this year for Halloween --working in costume, though, for the students. Supervisor said, "wear something funny". :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Warrior4Christ » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:04 am

I don't. I went to a prayer meeting at church instead. I saw some bunches of kids (and sometimes supervising parents) as I was driving home from work though.
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby DecooPunk » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:54 am

This makes me feel like I'm the only one actually celebrating Halloween. :P
DecooPunk

Postby Adie » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:26 am

I don't usually do anything special for Halloween (last year I just hung out and watched Howl's Moving Castle :p), but this year my university is putting on a neat event, so I'll be going to that. :) I'm not dressing up, though.
Adie

Postby Davidizer13 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:31 am

That reminds me, I've got to make sure the Burmese tiger traps out front are set up. Can't let those kids keep all the candy to themselves, after all!
Davidizer13

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:25 am

Halloween Partaaaaay! Gonna get craycraaaay! Hahajk
Last edited by Mr. SmartyPants on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby DaughterOfZion » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:59 am

Eh, for me Halloween is a take it or leave it holiday. If a friend is having a party or something is going on like what my university does in the freshman girls dorms (children and their parents go through the halls and any dorm room that wants to participate gives out candy to the kids) then I'll "celebrate" halloween but otherwise it's the same as any other day. At home we live out in the country so there aren't any trick-or-treaters.
DaughterOfZion

Postby ClosetOtaku » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:20 am

A few years back, I used to dress up on Halloween as Zorro and hand out roses to the ladies who were hauling their kids around, as well as any women who just happened along.

That's how I met my wife.

Nowadays, I just hand out the candy to the kids.
ClosetOtaku

Postby PandaPop » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:42 am

ClosetOtaku wrote:A few years back, I used to dress up on Halloween as Zorro and hand out roses to the ladies who were hauling their kids around, as well as any women who just happened along.

That's how I met my wife.

Nowadays, I just hand out the candy to the kids.

That is absolutely fantastic!

I didn't celebrate this year :( it made me sad, I've just been too busy with college. Halloween was always my favorite holiday my parents made it super fun when I was growing up, they would invite our friends and their parents and then fill up this big trailer with hay bells and scarecrows and jack-o-lanterns, and drive us all from house to house, and if there was school the next day my mom always let us skip it.
PandaPop

Postby Hikaru » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:45 am

Naw, I don't celebrate it. I don't like being scared
Hikaru

Postby Anirac » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:24 pm

I only did it a few times with my English language school. After I moved up to Canada, it never interested me. So unless we're invited to a party (which never happens), we don't celebrate, we don't give out candy, we don't decorate. By then I will probably still be in the food coma from Canadian Thanksgiving :P
Anirac

Postby Sundown » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:47 pm

goldenspines wrote:I can easily get away with avoiding Halloween stuffs since I live in the middle of nowhere and we don't get any trick or treaters coming to our door. XD

^ Same here, lol.
"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you will get neither." C.S. Lewis
Sundown

Postby Nate » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:32 pm

I don't have kids and I'm obviously far too old to trick-or-treat, and I don't have any real life friends so I got no parties to go to. I could go to a haunted house or something but I've never really cared much for those, I'm way too easy to jump scare. So yeah not really celebrating it, although I will pick up cheap Halloween candy the day after. It's a shame too because Halloween is great, just don't really have much I can do to celebrate it.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Furen » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:11 pm

I near guarantee I'll be working that night, but if I'm not, I'll likely spend it being tired and watching TV shows like usual >.>
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:15 pm

I think my mom and I are gonna decorate a little and I'll probably watch something creepy (NOT scary) while listening to Monster Mash and of course we'll use Halloween as an excuse to eat more candy but...I don't know. lol.
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby TheAlbinoMoose » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:49 pm

We don't get a lot of trick-or-treaters, but I do like dishing out candy to kids, and I'm actually looking forward to going around in some kind of cosplay (even if it's just in walmart or something) :3 But yeah, halloween has never been celebrated or anything. Maybe we'll watch the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown movie, but that's about it.
Do you see this gorgeous creature?
That graceful profile. Those striking eyes. Behold the albino moose.
A wise man once said, "you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friend's nose."
TheAlbinoMoose

Postby Wolfsong » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:48 pm

My family goes out of its way to discourage trick-or-treaters from our door. We don't really celebrate Halloween, more like All Saints Day afterwards. We do a small thing on Halloween, like watch a movie or something, but its merely for the eve of the next day.
I don't know if anyone else celebrates All Saints Day, but that's all Halloween's coming means to my family.
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby LastLfan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:29 pm

My definition of celebrate is watch a twilight zone marathon.
LastLfan

Postby Xeno » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:11 pm

Oddly enough, working again. I might go to work in some kind of shoddily put together costume, otherwise it's just about candy.
Xeno

Postby Exlon » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:36 pm

I'm at college. First year I dressed as Alice, second year I decided to be a fox at the last minute (geddit, geddit?), and this year I'm going to be Tim Burton's Cheshire Cat. ^^
Exlon

Postby Dante » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:33 pm

We've been turning off the lights during the last few Halloweens. It might sound bad, but people drive in to our neighborhood from the poorer areas of town every year and drop their kids off by the truckload to go tricker-treating (better candy?). It really comes off as tacky and given that no one in our family seems to be having kids, we've just decided to let it drop and not support the candy industry.
Dante

Postby ClaecElric4God » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:24 am

Xeno wrote:otherwise it's just about candy.

^Such truth.
Also, it just occurred to me that I won't have to hide from trick-or-treaters. I can just go into work early and avoid the bother altogether.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Next

Return to General