A New Member's Guide to CAA.

Talk about anything in here.

A New Member's Guide to CAA.

Postby goldenspines » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:22 pm

Greetings new as well as long-time members!
CAA can be an intimidating place, especially when first starting out trying to meet people. There are strict rules to follow, inside jokes to learn, people to meet without seeming like a total n00b, and a whole huge forum to navigate. It’s a daunting task to really “become a member of CAA”.
But not to worry, I’m here to help! I’ve made some great guidelines to help ease your way into the CAA community and make your membership on CAA much more enjoyable. :D
I hope they are helpful.

1.Read the rules (twice)
. This is an important guideline for you to follow if you wish to survive on CAA. The rules were put there to keep you and everyone else on CAA safe and happy. Memorize them if you can and follow them without fail.

Take a tour of the board before you post. I know sometimes you’re not quite sure where that awesome thread you want to make should go. This is why it’s a good idea to get yourself familiar with how the forum is laid out before you start posting. It may take a little time, but it will be worth it in the end.

Type in readable text in all your posts. In other words, make an effort to not spek leik tis. Bcus its vury hrd 2 red. But really, in order to be understood correctly, make an effort to type in correct grammar. Make the Grammar Ranger proud. :D

4. Strive to be a peacemaker whenever possible.
As dull as this may seem, this will keep your time at CAA a lot more pleasant. Granted, if you know someone is in the wrong in their opinion, you can speak up. But instead of taking the “I’m right and you’re wrong” mentality, kindly inform them that their opinion is not entirely true and give good evidence to support this. And if someone takes you help the wrong way and lashes back at you, don’t do the same, as tempting as it may seem. Getting into an ugly fight just to prove you’re “right” isn’t worth hurting other members.

5. Don’t flame.
This is in the rules, I know, but sometimes what you would consider a little ember can be considered flaming. People over the internet have feelings just like you. Please don’t burn them.

6. Always reread posts before you reply.
It’s a well known fact that emotions can’t be expressed very well over the internet, so before you assume something, read over the post again before you reply. Following the advice in Nate's thread will help you quite a bit in this area too: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=41269

7. Before you post a thread, look for an existing one.
You may have heard this one, but it’s worth mentioning in here. As excited as you are about the new chapters of Naruto(for example), there may already be a thread where you can vent your happiness without making a new thread. Observing this guideline just keeps the forum more organized and threads easier to find.

8. Respect other people’s opinions.
Yes, I know it’s hard when you can’t understand why someone doesn’t like, say, cookies, for example, but you shouldn’t get on their case about it. Just accept the fact that they don’t like cookies and in the end, it leaves more for you.

9. If you do have a problem with a member, don’t outright say it for the whole board to see.
This is unsightly and makes you look worse than you actually are. If you have problems with someone, take it to PM. Or, if it’s very serious, contact a moderator about it.

10. The moderators are your friends.
Honestly, they don’t bite. They’re here to help you out in any way they can if you have a problem concerning the site. Or if you have any confusion about the rules, they are there to clarify. Make sure to always respect their authority as well. They help out on the site out of the goodness of their hearts.

11. The Goof Off is just that, a place to goof off.
Please don’t take anything there very seriously. It’s a place to hang out and just have fun, not to spam your heart out or start a serious discussion.

12. Getting into the CAA group takes time, be patient.
Like with any friendships, they don’t happen automatically. If you don’t feel like you’re being accepted by the other members instantly, don’t worry. Be patient while you’re still a new member and getting adjusted into the group. Try to be friendly whenever possible and be always willing to listen to learn about other members.

13. The Chat is only as scary as you make it.
Things can sometimes get really crazy in the chat, and if you can’t follow it very well at first, be willing to lurk and just follow the conversation that way, perhaps inserting little comments here and there pertaining to the topic. If you don’t like the chat’s topic, don’t feel obligated to stay in the chat if you don’t want to. The chat’s topic also often changes like the wind, so if you wait a bit, there will be something new to talk about.

14. Please don't gravedig threads.
Check the post dates of a thread before you post in it. Avoid posting in a thread more than 2 months old unless you have something very important to add(something more than "I agree", "I don't agree", ect...). And most of the time, old threads need to remain in the depths of CAA and not brought back up to the surface.

15. And most of all, have fun.
CAA isn’t suppose to be a boring place. But it’s only as fun as its members make it.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. I hope, if anything, I helped at least one of you out in making your time at CAA a lot more enjoyable. :D

God bless.~
goldenspines

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:29 pm

What is with you people making awesome posts today? This thread is totally also getting stickied; excellent advice, Goldie!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:36 pm

This thread is full of epicly amazing trufax.

I would also like to add/emphasize the bit about the search function. It is awesome for two reasons:
1) It keeps the site clean and happy by avoiding the creation of new threads.
2) It's filled with history. There are widespread in-jokes that have their start in some old thread. Plus, you can kind of get to know both members who are still around and those who aren't by reading what they've posted in the past.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby ADXC » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:37 am

goldenspines (post: 1301481) wrote:12. Getting into the CAA group takes time, be patient.[color=lemonchiffon] Like with any friendships, they don’]

Yes, this is key advice for "diving" into CAA. Although it will take time before anyone will accept you, CAA is a very loving place where it is filled to the brim with opportunities for showing your real side.

Here are some opportunities for doing this:

1.Try to put your first post in the Who's Who thread where other members can learn more about you and then can those members be able to share similarites and things that both members like. This opens the door for many a discussion which will inturn open the door for more friendships.

2. It may be hard for a new member to do this, but if they can the members may get a better look at who they really are. Go and post a picture of yourself in the Post your pic thread. That way other members can see what you look like and the connection between that new member and the other members will be less awkward.

3. As Goldenspines said, go into the Chat. The members of CAA will not hurt you. Here you can learn more and more about the other members without having to read all of their past posts. Although it wouldn't hurt to, as Rushia said, read up on their history. But I will give some more advise. When do I go into the Chat? I will say this, avoid going in when it is 3 am in the morning. Another time to avoid is when there are a lot of members in the Chat. This does not happen everyday, but still be on the lookout. Head into chat when there are 1-7 members in chat. That way you won't be lonely and your conversation with the members won't be overwhelmed by the other members' conversations. You can also head into chat when there is no one there and wait there for someone to come in, don't worry someone will come just not very likely at 3AM.

4. Play in the Goof-off! This is a wonderful release of all that bent out stress and you are assured of a non-srs bzns topic. Just don't overwhelm the place with polls as that has happened recently. JK

5. Become an active member of CAA. This means if you want to become a known member of CAA faster then do just that. Show what you can bring to the forum, let everyone get a piece of your character engraved into their minds.

a.Try to get on everyday and post once a day. It's okay if you can't get on because of other stuff(Because believe me, it happens to me all the time.) If you can achieve that one GOOD post of the day rather than some mindless, half-hearted posts then that is just is great.

b.Get involved into discussions when they interest you, do not post in a thread where you know you will be prone to let out some negative emotions when they do not help the thread at all. You know what happens to those threads, a mod, out of nowhere, swoops in and LOCKS IT! So don't let that happen by keeping the discussion friendly.

c.Post your own threads! But be wary of the rules of CAA and don't post something with a almost the same topic to a recent thread that was made.

d. Help pray for other members when they need it in the Prayer room by post there and saying your praying for them or by PMing them about it. You can also give advise to help them out.

6. Look for opportunities to show off your amazing Christian spirit! This is an awesome way to become a respected member of CAA.

Well that's all I can think of, I hope it helps.
ADXC

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:47 am

This thread wins the internets.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Puguni » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:51 am

Gah, why is the text in yellow?
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:09 am

I would like to second number 2 on the list. This is actually the fist thing I did on the forum before posting once.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby goldenspines » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:11 am

Puguni (post: 1301585) wrote:Gah, why is the text in yellow?

Because you noticed it. :D

Also, thanks Rushair for adding the wonders of the search function. I often forget how useful it can be. ^_^;
goldenspines

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:15 am

Also if you want to really be up-to-the-minute, use the "New Posts" function. It's a lot easier than checking each subforum individually. It's up there between "Calendar" and "Search".
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:25 am

I can't read it. This is what I see:

At least I'm not a new member.
blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:27 am

Whoaaaa dude, are you still using the old "Lite" skin? That's what it looks like.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby goldenspines » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:33 am

blkmage (post: 1301600) wrote:I can't read it. This is what I see:

<picture snipped to save space>

At least I'm not a new member.

I apologize for the inconvenience, Blkmage.
Fortunately, there is an easy remedy to this problem; please highlight the text. :D
goldenspines

Postby Lilac#18 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:34 am

Another good thread.:jump:

mechana2015 wrote:I would like to second number 2 on the list. This is actually the fist thing I did on the forum before posting once.

I did that too.
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby blkmage » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:50 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1301602) wrote:Whoaaaa dude, are you still using the old "Lite" skin? That's what it looks like.

It never occurred to me that there were newer skins and forgot that CAA had skinning options. But I guess that proves that I really am not a new member :D
blkmage

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:03 pm

Well said, goldie. This will be helpful to all the newbies.
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby GeneD » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:44 pm

Great post, Goldie. XD

I want to add this advice: don't be afraid to ask questions, even if they might seem stupid to you. There is a FAQ thread that might be of use and is a good place to post if you want. Also feel free to ask questions in the chat or by PM, although it won't be a good idea to spam members with hundreds of questions. Use the search function first and check out the thread I mentioned because there's always a chance someone has already wondered about the same thing.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:51 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"]Whooooot! Go Goldie!!! 8D

Another thing I'd like to add...
HAVE LOTS AND LOTS OF FUN HERE, NEW PEEPS!!! X3
Remember, we love all of ya!! ;D[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby goldenspines » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:01 pm

Just an update, I added another guideline about grave digging per request(see guideline #14).

Thanks~
goldenspines

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:12 pm

Also, new users should check out threads that are in my sign. Mostly If you spot a troll on CAA and Frequently Asked Questions thread.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby ADXC » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:28 pm

You see, that is how dedicated Roy is to new members staying on CAA by giving up part of his signiture for these lovely beginning threads.
ADXC

Postby Puguni » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:54 pm

goldenspines (post: 1301593) wrote:Because you noticed it. :D

I refuse to change to the "new" skin. But since I am not a new member, this is irrelevant to me anyway.

[quote="goldenspines (post: 1301605)"]I apologize for the inconvenience, Blkmage.
Fortunately, there is an easy remedy to this problem]

OR you can just change it to black/white and inconvenience no one. Just an observation.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:34 am

Does it really matter what color the text is? XD Geez. Way to miss the point of this thread. If you don't want to highlight it and read it then don't.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:22 am

I dunno, I just find it odd that people refuse to change to the current default skin, especially when studies have shown that white text on a black background is way easier on the eyes. Black text on a white background, for a computer screen, is like death for your eyes. It's painful to stare at for any length of time.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:27 am

I know, I find that kind of odd myself. But to each his own.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Puguni » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:39 am

Nate (post: 1302105) wrote:I dunno, I just find it odd that people refuse to change to the current default skin, especially when studies have shown that white text on a black background is way easier on the eyes. Black text on a white background, for a computer screen, is like death for your eyes. It's painful to stare at for any length of time.

Psh, you can't blind me with your science. I actually find the white on black to be annoying. Probably because most of the internet is the other way around? I think you should start a campaign.

But to get back to the point of the thread..I assume it's a useful read. Because everyone else says so.
Puguni

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:53 pm

Puguni, if you can't read it and you won't read it, I have a very capable suggestion.

Stop posting in it.

It's a nice thread for new members. Let's stop mucking it up with Your Yellow Text Does Not Conform To My Beliefs, okay?
Fish and Chips

Postby Stephen » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:20 pm

Are you guys doing this? LOL. Play nice guys, or I will get the hose out.
Stephen

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:19 pm

thank u ^^ this place is a bit confusing to me heh
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Anystazya » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:50 pm

^^ This was like, one of the first (if not the first) things I read when coming to CAA. I forgot to thank you for this, goldy, so...yeah. Thanks. ^^ And Makachop, don't worry. You'll probably (hopefully) settle in as nicely as I did, and get used to things quickly. :)
[color="Plum"]Do not let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good. - Job 40:2 NLT[/color]

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] [color="Purple"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]

[color="DarkOrchid"]~Anystazya~[/color]
Anystazya

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:15 pm

Anystazya (post: 1319152) wrote:^^ This was like, one of the first (if not the first) things I read when coming to CAA. I forgot to thank you for this, goldy, so...yeah. Thanks. ^^ And Makachop, don't worry. You'll probably (hopefully) settle in as nicely as I did, and get used to things quickly. :)

yea hopefully lol ^^
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Next

Return to General