Frequently Asked Questions

Talk about anything in here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:09 pm

Over time certain questions have been asked repeatedly. We moderators decided that it would be more efficient for everyone if we created one of these threads. Some of these are already answered in the rules but it seems those aren’t read.

Anyway, please check here first before asking something (we’ll add more if other questions are repeated). Members, if you ever see something related to one of these, link here instead of answering.

Where can I find fansubs or scanlations?

No links to sites hosting or supporting fansubs/scanlations are permitted on the forums. You may not ask for them or give them except via PM. Copyright law applies regardless of if the series has been licensed in the United States or your native country.

Why isn't the chat working?

Most likely, you are using the wrong skin. Go to User CP, select Edit Options, and make sure you are on “New CAA” (the menu is near the bottom of that page). The chat is not functional with old skins. There are additional requirements for new members, so participate longer if you have joined recently.

Why aren't my posts appearing?

In order to cut down on ad bots, new users are monitored and suspicious posts are filtered pending moderator approval. If you are a new member and your posts seem to disappear, do not repeatedly submit – most likely your post will be accepted within a few hours and you will be on your way to becoming a regular member. Meanwhile, try not to appear suspicious by avoiding lists, images, and links.

Why is my review not up yet?

All reviews must be approved to ensure they are accurate. This approval process is done by the volunteer staff and does not always move consistently. Also, there may be no one available who can confirm the accuracy of a given review, so expect some delay.

Can I review [series title]?

Yes, assuming no one else has submitted a review. You cannot claim reviewing rights - if you want to write one do so and submit it. However, if you have reason to believe someone else has submitted a review that has not yet been approved, ask about this in the appropriate requests thread.

Why is discussion of politics and theology not allowed?

There are many places on the internet where you can discuss politics or theology. CAA is not one of them. These rules are designed to avoid unnecessary and divisive bickering on these subjects, not condemn them entirely. So long as everyone remains civil, there is nothing wrong with threads about spiritual issues or a law concerning anime. When the subject will clearly be contentious along political or denominational lines, however, it should be avoided.

Why is discussion of some series or subjects not permitted?

Over the course of CAA’s history, certain titles have caused repeated problems. For whatever reason, it seems impossible to have a serious discussion about them without the thread devolving into a pointless argument. When a title repeatedly causes these problems, it is judged that it is better to avoid it altogether. This does not mean that CAA considers it a bad series or that any image/mention of it will result in banning.
For a list of these titles, please see the DND threads in the appropriate forums.

Why is the parents section blank?

Having a section specifically for parents unfamiliar with anime has long been one of Ashley's goals for this site. However, among various real life obligations this hasn't been priority, so it remains a placeholder.

Who are the moderators/administrators?

Administrators have usernames in red; moderators have usernames in blue.

Can I be a mod?

Moderators are chosen by the staff when the workload becomes too heavy for the current group. These are chosen from the members without any kind of request process.

Why can't I edit my posts?

For archival reasons, posts made more than 2 days ago cannot be edited (this limit has recently been increased from 1 day).

Why do some new(er) members not show up in the members list?

In order to keep the list relatively clean, members with post counts of less than 25 do not appear in the formal list.
uc pseudonym

Postby GeneD » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:26 am

I have a question about this thread. Can we post any (sometimes random, but sincere ;)) questions we are wondering about in here or is this place basically for mods to post answers to questions they feel are fraquently asked?
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:54 am

uc pseudonym (post: 1196093) wrote:Why is my review not up yet?

All reviews must be approved to ensure they are accurate. This approval process is done by the volunteer staff and does not always move consistently. Also, there may be no one available who can confirm the accuracy of a given review, so expect some delay.

Question.

If there's a review on hold for a title that none of the staff have any familiarity with, can we call on a third party (another member in good standing besides the author) who is and have them read the review?
Fish and Chips

Postby Ashley » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:36 am

Can we post any (sometimes random, but sincere ) questions we are wondering about in here or is this place basically for mods to post answers to questions they feel are fraquently asked?

Go ahead and ask, and we'll post our answers/keep the first post updated.
Ashley

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:07 pm

Right. Try to limit your questions to something about rules or policy (as interesting as my favorite color may be, there are other threads for that) but they don't have to be constantly repeated ones. Important questions can be added to the first post, others can simply be answered.

Fish and Chips wrote:Question.

If there's a review on hold for a title that none of the staff have any familiarity with, can we call on a third party (another member in good standing besides the author) who is and have them read the review?

There is precedent for this, but we don't want random members clamoring to approve reviews left and right. Some reviews from certain members have been approved without confirmation, but again we don't want to set a precedent for this. Did you have a particular title in mind?
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:41 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1196306) wrote:There is precedent for this, but we don't want random members clamoring to approve reviews left and right. Some reviews from certain members have been approved without confirmation, but again we don't want to set a precedent for this. Did you have a particular title in mind?

No, just off the assumption that the staff hasn't seen even every conceivable Anime, Manga, or video game known to mankind.
Fish and Chips

Postby Ashley » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:54 am

No, just off the assumption that the staff hasn't seen even every conceivable Anime, Manga, or video game known to mankind.

What?! You DARE doubt our omniscience?!

Sorry, there I go again derailing a perfectly serious thread...:P
Ashley

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:03 pm

I'm sorry if this is a really simple question (I r net noob :P), but some of my images don't like to show up when I try posting in the Battle Royal thread o.o Could it be due to the kind of image it is? I'm pretty sure I put the image code in right o.o
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:11 pm

Ashley (post: 1196483) wrote:Sorry, there I go again derailing a perfectly serious thread...:P

Of all the people who COULD get away with this, I suspect you are high on the list. :P

As for the image question, it's highly likely it's the image type. For maximum compatibility, be sure to only use the following images on the web:
* JPG
* GIF
* PNG
Mithrandir

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:25 pm

Ah, okies :) Thanks :) Once I think of it.. I think I remember seeing JPEG, so that could be the problem :) I shall try to remember this :grin:
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby GeneD » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:42 am

uc pseudonym (post: 1196306) wrote:as interesting as my favorite color may be, there are other threads for that

Indeed :eyebrow:

What is an IP address and what does it mean if two users have the same one? (I understand this usually leads to being :banned:.)

Can we post poems that we didn't write ourselves in the writing section?
I posted this question in my thread in said section, but it's not been answered so I went ahead and posted two Tolkien poems. So for the record, am I(we) allowed to do this?
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:07 pm

GeneD (post: 1196611) wrote:IWhat is an IP address and what does it mean if two users have the same one?

NOTE TO GEEKS: This is not a general discussion about TCP/IP or routing. I'm trying to put this in "layman's terms" for a reason. Please don't "correct" this post - us geeks can digress elsewhere. :D

Without getting too technical (and glossing over a few things, to be sure) an IP address is a really big number (so bit it's usually written as 4 smaller ones that look like this: aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd) that uniquely identifies your computer on the internet - kinda like a phone number. Usually your ISP will assign you an IP address. If multiple users have the same IP address, the staff will likely watch them very closely - as trolls or robots often come back with a different username, but from the same IP address ().

On the other hand, sometimes siblings (or other family relations) will share a computer (or routed connection), which in turn means they have the same IP address. For this reason, we don't explicitly block the practice.

I hope that makes some sense!
Mithrandir

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:13 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1196679) wrote:NOTE TO GEEKS: This is not a general discussion about TCP/IP or routing. I'm trying to put this in "layman's terms" for a reason. Please don't "correct" this post - us geeks can digress elsewhere. :D

Without getting too technical (and glossing over a few things, to be sure) an IP address is a really big number (so bit it's usually written as 4 smaller ones that look like this: aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd) that uniquely identifies your computer on the internet - kinda like a phone number. Usually your ISP will assign you an IP address. If multiple users have the same IP address, the staff will likely watch them very closely - as trolls or robots often come back with a different username, but from the same IP address ().

On the other hand, sometimes siblings (or other family relations) will share a computer (or routed connection), which in turn means they have the same IP address. For this reason, we don't explicitly block the practice.

I hope that makes some sense!

I'm thinking if that were the case (of family members using the same computer), we should notify a mod of this, so there's no confusion?
Tsukuyomi

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:41 pm

That is correct. Note, however, that if everyone suddenly has siblings joining we may be suspicious.

GeneD wrote:Can we post poems that we didn't write ourselves in the writing section?
I posted this question in my thread in said section, but it's not been answered so I went ahead and posted two Tolkien poems. So for the record, am I(we) allowed to do this?

We often can't read every thread in sections such as writing, so it is best to ask questions in a different location. But to answer the question at hand, poems written by others should not go in the Writing forum. Instead, you could create a thread for the poetry of Tolkien in the Book Corner and post examples there as necessary for the discussion.

Mithrandir wrote:NOTE TO GEEKS: This is not a general discussion about TCP/IP or routing. I'm trying to put this in "layman's terms" for a reason. Please don't "correct" this post - us geeks can digress elsewhere. :D

Your explanation entirely leaves out the concentrated tachyon stream dispersement grid. How can you begin to talk about TCP/IP without considering the protocol flux generator?
uc pseudonym

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:42 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1196748) wrote:How can you begin to talk about TCP/IP without considering the protocol flux generator?

Step 1. Realize the truth: "There is no flux."
Mithrandir

Postby Sheenar » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:48 pm

I think it would be good to have under the FAQ section a guide on being safe on the Internet. I know we have a thread about this for the younger members, but the older members need to know how to keep themselves safe also. (Don't give out real name or location, passwords, etc.)
I'm surprised how many people I find that just aren't careful enough with what they put online about themselves.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:06 pm

Sheenar (post: 1196800) wrote:I think it would be good to have under the FAQ section a guide on being safe on the Internet.

I've actually considered writing an entire book on this subject. Basically, a "parent's guide to keeping your family safe online." It would certainly be something I could start out in this forum, if people were really interested, and it would certainly fit this need.
Mithrandir

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:55 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1196806) wrote:I've actually considered writing an entire book on this subject. Basically, a "parent's guide to keeping your family safe online." It would certainly be something I could start out in this forum, if people were really interested, and it would certainly fit this need.

I think you should go for it \o.o/

I've been a little wary of the chat o.o I don't use real names when there's someone new in there, but others seem to o.o How do I tell address this without hurting anyone's feelings o.o;
Tsukuyomi

Postby GeneD » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:07 am

Mithrandir (post: 1196679) wrote:I hope that makes some sense!

Thank you, it does. I'm very glad about the "no-fluxness" of the explanation.

uc pseudonym wrote:We often can't read every thread in sections such as writing, so it is best to ask questions in a different location. But to answer the question at hand, poems written by others should not go in the Writing forum.

I see. I should have sought the answer more thoroughly before posting, my apologies.
I can't seem to edit my posts to remove the Tolkien poems now though, so if one of the mods could please do it (if you feel it's necessary) since I really wouldn't want to set a bad example. Especially if new users do likewise without checking to see if it's allowed since another member (me) has already done so.
And you can comment on my poems while you're at it. :P

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:05 pm

Sheenar wrote:I'm surprised how many people I find that just aren't careful enough with what they put online about themselves.

While this is a concern, I don't think this thread would be an effective way to communicate that. I'll leave this up to Mithrandir.

GeneD wrote:I can't seem to edit my posts to remove the Tolkien poems now though, so if one of the mods could please do it (if you feel it's necessary) since I really wouldn't want to set a bad example. Especially if new users do likewise without checking to see if it's allowed since another member (me) has already done so.

Several posts within your thread shouldn't be a problem.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:18 pm

I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but what words or filtered in the chat o.o? I noticed one that I haven't seen before :sweat: it was kinda funny :P I was like,"Did you really say that or was it a filter o.o?" :lol:I don't think it was a bad word, because aren't those replaced with "backspace"?

Haha, fluffy bunny XDDD

I'm sorry if I'm stepping on anyone's toes with this question o.o;
Tsukuyomi

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:04 pm

Uh...

Probably a list of words that are filtered wouldn't really be appropriate in the forums. :lol:
Mithrandir

Postby Ashley » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:33 am

Not to mention how we could get them to show up...
Ashley

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:50 pm

True ^ ^; Sorry I brought it up :sweat:

Let's just say the bad ones are backspace and the semi-bad ones are fluffy bunnies :lol:;

There should be a warning to not to test out the filters in the chat (been seeing that a lot lately) o.o Although, I do find myself very tempted to, but has resisted \o.o/
Tsukuyomi

Postby GeneD » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:54 am

Are there any plans at the moment/in the near future to re-introduce the devotions as a permanent fixture?

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby Ashley » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:57 am

Are there any plans at the moment/in the near future to re-introduce the devotions as a permanent fixture?

Not at the moment, and mostly because of a lack of suitable personnel. I don't know of any "lay people" so to speak (i.e. CAAers who aren't staff) who are interested, and the theologically trained staffers are pretty busy. But if anyone is interested in starting this up again, I would suggest you PM me with your ideas, a sample devotional, and perhaps also a statement of faith (like, which denomination are you, your basic points of theology, etc.).
Ashley

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:12 pm

How do we do multi-quotes ^ ^? RD already told me, but it would appear I had forgotten ^ ^;
Tsukuyomi

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:15 pm

Click the button with the quotation mark and the plus sign on each post you want to quote, and then hit "quote" once you've clicked them all. That puts everything you need into a quote for you, so you have less to copy/paste! XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:57 pm

Lol, no wonder :P I think I did an extra step :P I think I pushed all the multi quote buttons to all the quotes I wanted to quote then pushed the multi quote button again on the last one again then the regular quote button again o.o

Did that make any sense at all o.O? Oy, I am so out of it right now u_u I think that's what you told me last time to XDDD Sorry bout that ^ ^;;

I gottacha tho ^ ^ Thanks 8D
Tsukuyomi

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:59 pm

[*quote=username]You can also type the code directly, which I find more convenient.[/quote]
The previous sentence would be quoted if not for the asterisk.
uc pseudonym

Next

Return to General