Vacation Bible School

Talk about anything in here.

Vacation Bible School

Postby Spencer » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:24 pm

Do any of you guys have this at your church? It's mainly for Kindergarten-6th grade, but I have seen older. I am a helper at ours. Arts & Crafts. Whee. The theme this year is
S uper
C ool
U ndersea
B ible
A dventure

It's neat, they teach the kids stories and stuff. Just wondering if anybody else was familiar with it.
:)
Spencer

Postby Straylight » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:32 pm

We don't have things like that in the UK... (as far as I know)
what we do have though are large Christian gathering type events in the summer. they're always good fun :)
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby andyroo » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:38 pm

I remember being volunteered for VBSs at some other churches that used to be a member of, but the church that I go to now doesn't have one. Although, last year we tried to have one, but the turn out wasn't very large and there weren't many helpers to help.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:47 pm

Yes, yes I definitly have to do VBS. Maybe I just get older, but it seems every year had a cheesier method of getting a message acrossed. Fortunately, I usually work on the drama team, so I work with other adults. Most of them are pretty funny.
uc pseudonym

Postby DoMiNiQuE » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:48 pm

O ya we had VBS couple of weeks ago.. Our theme was like farming/country type... ex..

The fruit of the Spirit... Grow Love, Sprout Joy, etc.. you know that and all... I helped out in the Nursery so i didnt like interact with the theme or w/e....

My mom taught the 4th Graders (which my sister was in )... And the weird thing is (lol, totally off the subject here), is that like @ the end of 7th grade, We were taught sign language and i like know all the letters and words and stuff... Anywaz.. there was a deaf girl in my sisters class and I got to talk to her in like sign language.. it was prettty cool. :thumb:

Dominique
Dominique

Revelation 22:12- Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Homestarrunner Rocks!!

Paper cranes are my friend... so is pastel stars

ImageAw.
DoMiNiQuE

oh yes!

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:24 pm

We had a great VBS this year... :thumb:

We did a science theme .. " God the great physicist" It was fun to tie in science projects and explain how cool Gods wonders are and how he uses them.

It was so popular we had too many people.. even the local tv station came to our little church and did a short piece on it.

It is awesome to see God at work! And to see the kids that enjoy learning his word when it is presented well.
WhiteÃ…ngel

Postby Saint » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:17 pm

my church used to do a VBS program working with the YMCA. that was fun, grew up with it and all. sadly at some point we were asked not to return, it seems that presenting Christ as the only way as salvation was offensive to some of the members.

and here i thought the YMCA was a christian org. its sad, wish we could start back there.
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby Ashley » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:22 pm

go to our big field and throw Texas snowballs (nylons filled with flour and then rolled up)

Now wait just a minute...I've been in Texas 14 years pal (and I'm a native here too!) and I've never EVER heard of these "Texas snowballs". Just where do you Canadians get off using our name for your flour-filled projectiles, eh? ;) Boy I tell ya. You canucks sometimes...Sam Houston would roll in his grave, with Steve Austin right behind him. :lol:

And for the record, no Ashley does NOT love the Texas snowball. Ashley hasn't even heard of the Texas snowball. Although after a lifetime of dis-proving theories about Texans (i.e. I don't ride a horse, I have a 10 foot backyard, and I hate country music), I'm really not suprised.

It did give me a good laugh to read about it though...but I wonder why I was the only Texan singeled out here *cough Keely, Inkhana, Calbhach, Blue October, WhiteAngel...cough hack*Is it because I'm just the first thing that comes to mind?
Ashley

Postby Spencer » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:41 am

Cause your the manager, duh, hyuck! He ain't not gonna pick on one of us other members, hyuck!

Man, I seriously need to change my name. But if I rejoin under a different name, my post count will be lost....Ashlllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey, change my name! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaassssssee!

I'm not Blue October, I'm Spencer!
Spencer

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:32 pm

Moving away from the "harass Ashley" theme and more to the topic, I'd like to comment on what WhiteAngel said. You guys had a theme like "God the great physicist?" You (and more accurately, the children in your church) are lucky; we never get themes like that...
uc pseudonym

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:48 pm

it was a great success and a neat way to get many more lost people to come. Usually VBS is just the kids from the church..

We are a ministry church and go out of our way to get to the lost.
It was a lot of fun.
WhiteÃ…ngel

Postby Ashley » Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:32 pm

Happy Spence? :thumb:

Moving away from the "harass Ashley" theme

Oh, and UCPsuedo, that comment earned you the best member o' the day award. ;) Because you know how the saying goes guys....

Don't mess with Texas
Ashley

Postby Ashley » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:55 pm

Oh I know, ya crazy canadian. I just like messin' with ya. And yes, I'd be very...interested...to see one of these "flour-filled projectiles".
Ashley

Postby Spencer » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:59 pm

Seems like they would kinda hurt whenever you threw em at people, the Texan Snowballs, that is. Plus, you couldn't build a snow fort.

Gracias Senora Ashley! Muchos Gracias! My name is changed! Wahoo!
Spencer

Postby Saint » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:20 pm

we played Capture the Flag with those at our Youth Camp one year. i didn't know they had a name like that anywhere, but thats cool. We would fill up the end and sling it around... and yeah... that game could kinda hurt... and it leaves a nice powdery mess all over you... ahhh... Good times.:sweat:

Oh, hey blue spencer... hehe.
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby Ashley » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:22 pm

De nada. And for the sake of being pointless, that conversation WOULD sound like this if we were Romans:
Spencerius: "Dono gratia, matrona Ashliam! Multa gratia! Meum nomen commuterat. Wahoo!"
Ashliam: "Tuus salutiatias."

Oh yeah, topic. My church has VBS too. I used to help out, til they scheduled the youth retreat in the same week. My favorite theme was featured Okie-Dokie Jones....which was basically our music pastor dressed up in wannabe Indiana Jones gear. :lol: This year's was a baseball theme "In the Big-Enning". Thought it was a wee bit corney myself, although seeing the sanctuary looking like a baseball diamond was rather entertaining.
Ashley

Postby Technomancer » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:25 pm

Capture the Flag...now that's a game that can hurt...:grin:
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby andyroo » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:30 pm

Hey, There is a book that compares Christianity and Baseball and how they are alike. It first started with, " In the big inning..." I think it's pretty funny myself.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby Jephtih Mullins » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:05 pm

Our VBS is at the end of July! I get the role of Sherpa, the guide dog! I guess they loved me as the Depend On God Dog at the tallent show! :dance:
Jesus is comming soon! RUE? / F.K.A. KabinShushiSora
Jephtih Mullins

hmmm

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:32 pm

God dog... that gives an interesting mental picture...

if dogs are mans best friend... what would God's best friend look like..
WhiteÃ…ngel

Postby Jephtih Mullins » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:52 pm

It would be Annabelle from All Dogs Go To Heaven! Y'know that pink whippet? Yah thats his dog.
Jephtih Mullins

VBS

Postby Ellana » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:09 am

We have VBS at my church for around 3 and 4 year olds up to youth. I think we may also have an adult class.

Our theme this year is The Great Kingdom Caper. (detectives, England, etc.). I'm helping to make the sign and might also help with crafts.

Last year we did Amazon Outfitters, which was really fun. ^^
~ Ellana
Ellana

Postby Jephtih Mullins » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:02 pm

Ours is around the world. Im donateing my Japan flag that I made for a project. :thumb:
Jephtih Mullins

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:28 pm

Our church just got done a pirates themed one, only it was more like a Kid's Crusade than a vbs.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:27 pm

Last summer, we focused on Paul and his journeys. Not a very colorful theme, but the people I worked with were very much so. Practicing for the dramas was hilarious. I really wish we had outtakes...
uc pseudonym

Postby Turbocat » Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:48 am

VBS is cool...our church did ' Amazing Stories and Real-life Adventures' but I don't think it was as good as last year's. Speaking of VBS though there was a kid this year whose parents are both atheists, why you ask would they allow him to attend VBS? Well it seems he turned so anti-Christian he threatened to kill all the Christians at his school, so his parents sent him to our church to learn 'tolerance'! Needless to say, at first he was very difficult but by the end of the week his opinion of Christianity was completely turned around! So you never know what kind of seed even a cheesy VBS will plant in a kid...Praise God!
In Christ,

Turbo =^.^=
Turbocat

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:30 pm

Our church will be having VBS July 20-25. Our theme will also be Kingdom Capers. We always have a great time. I get to teach the 5th and 6th grade class plus lead the opening ceremony. My wife is the VBS director. I was...railroaded.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:13 am

Our church just started ours. I had to go to a stupid executive meeting. At least everyone there was as interested in not going late as I was. We're covering the story of Abraham and Sarah... sigh. Now I have to go through and edit the usually corny drama scripts.
uc pseudonym

Postby Jephtih Mullins » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:19 am

Ours is ummm the 21st of this month....im kinda nervous to go cuz of a mishap that happend the other day....
Jephtih Mullins

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:41 am

Mishap? Care to talk about it? (I'm certain everything will be alright- imaginations are wonderful at inflating things)
uc pseudonym

Next

Return to General