Back to School.......

Talk about anything in here.

Back to School.......

Postby Link Antilles » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:19 am

For most of us under 18, it's time to go back to school. For me, tomorrow is my last day of day of freedom. :( The summer has gone by way to fast!

Anyways, what are you planning for this school year?
Link Antilles

Postby Technomancer » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:25 am

Are you serious? School in August? I thought it usually didn't start 'till September.

I should be finished writing my thesis soon. So I'll probably be looking for work (of course, if things really go south I'll probably be picking up some extra courses or thinking about another degree)
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby MasterDias » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:29 pm

I star college in a couple weeks. *sigh*
This summer has seemed really short.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Bunny » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:51 pm

Heh, I've been in school for a week now! Yes, this summer was super short. One thing's for sure, I really need to get some good grades.
"So David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me instead of your father and all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel. Therefore I will play music before the LORD. And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight. But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor."

2 Samuel 6: 21&22

"I am going to take this bucket of water and pour it on the flames of hell, and then I am going to use this torch to burn down the gates of paradise so that people will not love God for want of heaven or fear of hell, but because He is God."

Bunny

Postby MyrrhLynn » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:54 pm

Bunny wrote:Heh, I've been in school for a week now! Yes, this summer was super short. One thing's for sure, I really need to get some good grades.

In school for a week already? You poor thing!!! I start Sept. 2nd back at college. Icky... :shady: And I hear you with the grades thing. I need all A's this semester or I am in BIG trouble. Heh, one of my classes is "Chemistry for the Consumer" it is known all over campus as the easiest science class, so that should be good. :grin:

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Straylight » Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:26 pm

It's quite a while yet before I have to start the next term.. mid-september actually.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Spiritsword » Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:41 pm

Well, I'm out of school yet I still have to go back (because I work in the schools). Today is my last day of break... :( But when I consider the fact that I'm in the working world yet still get a 2 month summer break it doesn't seem so bad. :)
Spiritsword

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:58 pm

"Chemistry for the Consumer"

There are so many ways THIS could be bad...

"Little Tommy was a chemist,
but that chemist is no more,
for what he thought was H2O
was H2SO4."
Mithrandir

Postby Ashley » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:18 pm

Starting tomorrow, I'll have to be coherent at 6:30 am....ewwwwwww.

Hmm, my plans. I have a lot of fun electives lined up, like European history, US History & Film, and photography. I also get to start my reign as Editor in Chief for the Pipeline, and president for Latin, which rocks.
I also get to drive about 3 weeks in...September 12th is the big day. Hopefully dad will have found another car, and I'll inherit mine soon enough to drive. I'm a wee bit scared...the general "it's my senior year and I have no idea what to do/where to go" phase.
But I'm also pretty excited; I'm #68 out of a class size of 688, so that's top 10% right there. Those of you familiar with texas law, that's definately a good thing! And a 4.1 gpa isn't bad to start with either. ^^
Ashley

Postby Spencer » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:41 pm

Tomorrow...Interesting, I am kind of stunned. It doens't seem like tomorrow is school, just a dream. I guess going to Astroworld the day before makes it seem a little different. :lol:
:)
Spencer

Postby Straylight » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:48 pm

oldphilosopher wrote:There are so many ways THIS could be bad...

was H2SO4."

That is so old, but still, so funny :sweat:
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby shooraijin » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:41 pm

Tomorrow, it's back to orthopaedics.

In a week and a half, I go to obstetrics/gynaecology, for two months, at the county hospital. (Shiver.)
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby andyroo » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:30 pm

I am told by hopefully reliable resources *coughcoughparentscough* that school will start for me next week. (I don't keep up with days and hours like most people do) I wonder if schools in that area start the latest of any school in - the south.

Oh yeah, in the states below the mason dixon line, schools start in August (remnant of wide spread farming and ranching). That may also be so for those who live in the midwest.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby Ashley » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:35 pm

Again our so called farming ancestors plague me! Geez laweez, haven't they caused me enough trouble? It's just plain cruel to make us wear khakis and polo shirts (heavy knit I might add) and walk home in the summer heat. Evil school board. :evil:
Ashley

Postby Rashiir » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:27 pm

I start school like the 25th of Aug or somethin like that. But two years ago, school started a week later than it was supposed to because asbestos was found and it had to be cleaned up. For that extra week we had to stay in 7 min longer each day. It was such a good trade.
"Be joyful always." - 1 Thes 5:16
Rashiir

Postby shooraijin » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:48 pm

> But in a better college.

Warren r0ckZ. If you're going to Revelle, Third (Marshall~~! It's THIRD!), Fifth (ditto -- Roosevelt is just wrong), Sixth (?!), major points off. I could live with Muir, however.

People who don't know how the University of California San Diego system works: http://www.ucsd.edu/college.html
I graduated before Third and Fifth got names, and before Sixth even existed.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:30 am

GPA of 4.1? They won't let me get over 4.0. No matter what. This annoys me...

School starts this Friday for me. I have a nasty set of classes lined up, but I don't care to talk about that at the moment. I'm also taking everything required for AP Biology, despite the fact that I have no interest in biology...

Feh. Most of the time I don't mind school, but I think I will this year. Partially because of you people. I just have too many things to do, and don't need an added stressor...
uc pseudonym

Postby Gypsy » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:11 am

*laughs*
Don't hide how you really feel, now!
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby _bluerose_ » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:37 am

time for school already?! I remember not going back until aug 28th every year... cuz we had like 2 or 3 days then labor day off. y'know so you don't get overwhelmed with depression all at once.
~Rose

Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isa. 40:30,31
_bluerose_

Postby MyrrhLynn » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:46 am

oldphilosopher wrote:There are so many ways THIS could be bad...

was H2SO4."

LOL! Thanks for the little poem but actually I am not worried. Guess what our first lab is???? It's "Using the Metric System" WA HA HA!!! :lol: :grin: :lol: (Yes this is a college course.) I am going to love it!

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

MyrrhLynn

Postby Link Antilles » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:07 am

MyrrhLynn wrote:LOL! Thanks for the little poem but actually I am not worried. Guess what our first lab is???? It's "Using the Metric System" WA HA HA!!! :lol: :grin: :lol: (Yes this is a college course.) I am going to love it!

Sounds like a too easy A! :)

Guess how I'm spending my last day of freedom?

YARD WORK. :shady:

Later
Link Antilles

Postby Technomancer » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:18 am

Guess what our first lab is???? It's "Using the Metric System" WA HA HA!!!

Yikes! Shouldn't that have been covered in high school? I know you guys still use imperial, but metric ain't that hard.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:34 pm

Wow... I wonder how many injuries we have relating to that lab.
uc pseudonym

Postby Ashley » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:02 pm

I took that lab in every single science class I've had. Suprisingly enough, my first day back wasn't very tough. I was up and at 'em at 6:30 without much trouble, although finding something to do for an hour before classes started was...interesting. Ended up ducking into my office in the journalism room. Spent like an hour in a homeroom class doing NOTHING (that was fun), then found out they took away my fall semester exam exemptions FOR NO GOOD REASON! (I'm going to start a mob, don't worry). After that, classes were ok...they have me running all over the two buildings though, that's not cool. Upstairs, downstairs, other building, upstairs, lunch! Etc. Although I already have homework, which is more than just "get supplies"...I'm talking reading Frankenstein and the european history AP book. O.O
Ashley

Postby MyrrhLynn » Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:18 pm

AP European History?!? I loved that class! But yeah there is a lot of reading. :( Which gets annoying really fast. My teacher had us start with the first chapter even though that isn't on the test. How about you? I remember reading over 30 pages a night. Not fun... :(

MyrrhLynn

Postby Ashley » Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:44 pm

Well, here's the homework breakdown for tonight:
- Government Honors: chapter 1 (pgs 1-27)
- Primary Source Handbook (EH): pgs 23-28
- European History: chapter 1 (pgs 292-314, I think...need to call Crystal)
- an undisclosed amount from Frankenstein...we get to write an ethics paper on it. =/
Ashley

Postby Technomancer » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:21 pm

Out of curiosity, what time period does your European History course cover. I remember the one I took back in high school was from a bit before the French and American revolutions up to the turn of the century (aka the "isms" course). It was a real blast, definately one of my faves.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Ashley » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:39 am

Dissappointingly enough, we cover 1300-modern (whatever "modern" means). So it means we come in at the 100 yrs. war/Renaissance. Darn, I really wanted to study medieval stuff too.
Ashley

Postby LorentzForce » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:14 am

i'm already in my 3rd term. been like a month since school started again after the holiday, which was directly between term 2 and term 3. the yr 12 did their trials (practice for HSC, the main goal of going to highschool), and i did it too. no results yet, and life seems to be sucky now. meh :P
LorentzForce

Postby Link Antilles » Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:19 pm

Well, I went back today.
My class line up:
Nothing special

1. Biology (easy, I hope)
2. Geology (easy, but our teacher is like a drill seagent mixed with a stand-up comic. odd? yep.)
3. English III (HEY! It's English!)
4. Spanish II ( :?: )
5. Bussness Finance (I can go online then! :thumb: )
6. US History (too easy, it's on WWI to Present day :grin: )

This year should be a breeze! 'cept Spanish. ;)

Feel free to post yours!
Link Antilles

Next

Return to General