Japanese Lit.

Talk about anything in here.

Japanese Lit.

Postby Technomancer » Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:39 am

I'm curious if anyone here reads novels by Japanese authors, and if so which ones?

I'm just starting Kenzaburo Oe's "An Echo of Heaven" at the moment.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:27 am

Technomancer wrote:I'm curious if anyone here reads novels by Japanese authors, and if so which ones?

Well, I read Takedown by Tsutomu Shimomura. Although I guess it was more of an autobiographical work than a novel, per se.
Mithrandir

Postby Technomancer » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:17 am

That's the one about the Kevin Mitnick bust isn't it?
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:30 am

Yeah. I enjoyed it. Then again, I live in the SF bay area.
Mithrandir

Postby Technomancer » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:33 am

I've heard of Ishiguro, but never read him yet. The only authors that I've read are Shosako Endo, and Haruki Murakami. Both of them are very good, although very different. Endo's writing is largely concerned with Christianity, and Murakami is...different. I like the stuff of his that I've read; people who are into Kurt Vonnegut or Philip K. **** might enjoy it.

edit: grrr...bloody censor.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Kat » Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:20 pm

I've read Shosako Endo as well. Also read a book by a young female Japanese writer whose name escapes me....and also tried to read "The Tale of the Genji" by Lady Murasaki, but it was so long, big and involved (and full of a LOT of foolin' around :o) that I couldn't finish it. Barely got into the first chapter, really.

I would like to read more Japanese literature. I will look for Haruki Murakami in the library.

--Kathleen
"I'm only in it for the funny." :grin:
Kat

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:44 pm

[quote="Technomancer"]I like the stuff of his that I've read]

No Kidding. My favorite one that doesn't work is pea-****.

If you spell it without the - it works fine. Odd.

peacock
pea ****
pea-****.
Mithrandir

Return to General