What Game Are You Playing Right Now?

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Re: What Game Are You Playing Right Now?

Postby LastLfan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:00 pm

Thank you playstation flash sale, picked up mortal kombat arcade Kollection for 2.50 and mirrors edge for 2.25
LastLfan

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:10 am

Finished up Bioshock infinite, so now I'm starting on the original :)
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby Animeniac » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:49 pm

I'm Playing Arkham Knight Finished it (now playing new game plus)
Phillippians 4:8 KJV

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

A lesson without pain is meaningless. For you cannot gain anything without sacrificing something else in return, but once you have overcome it and made it your own...you will gain an irreplaceable fullmetal heart -Hiromu Arakawa

I'm going to fight my hardest....I don't want anyone else to die! -Kirito

"Never break the circle....the circle is what binds us together as one as brothers and sisters...you are my bride...you are beautiful"-Elyon (God) on The Circle series By Ted Dekker

Animeniac

Postby artisticDreamer » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:42 pm

I literally just beat LoZ: Wind Waker. Now I need to get around to finishing Twilight Princess and starting Adventure of Link.
artisticDreamer

Postby steenajack » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:16 am

So, I'm a bit of a newb at games...sort of. I used to play a lot of PC games (Bugdom, Nanosaur, some Star Wars game, a Spiderman game, and a bunch of educational games) and arcade-esque games (Galaga, Pacman, Dig-Dug, etc..) back in the days of being a kiddo. Recently, starting a couple months ago, TGJesusfreak has been getting me into some 3DS stuff. It started with Animal Crossing New Leaf, which I quickly became attached to. He tried to get me into A Link Between Worlds, but I got frustrated and rage quite (no worries, I'll try again another day.) As of recent I've been obsessed with Fire Emblem Awakening. Holy crow! That game is so much fun. I really love story based games, so seeing the character support conversations really did it for me. I'm taking a break from gaming to catch up on other things, but man I can't wait to get back into it again. :)
steenajack

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:55 pm

steenajack wrote:As of recent I've been obsessed with Fire Emblem Awakening. Holy crow! That game is so much fun. I really love story based games, so seeing the character support conversations really did it for me. I'm taking a break from gaming to catch up on other things, but man I can't wait to get back into it again. :)

If you enjoy those elements in Awakening, I would highly recommend the rest of the Fire Emblem series, especially Fire Emblem 7. I haven't played Awakening so I don't know how it compares, but I'm fairly certain you can't beat the older games for story and support convos. And basically everything ever.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Tommy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:23 am

I'm currently playing Grandia Xtreme for the first time since it came out.
I remember there being too much grinding involved so I gave up halfway through.

Now, 12 years later, I am now realizing it is perhaps one of the most fun and difficult RPGs I have ever played.
Tommy

Postby artisticDreamer » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:28 am

I'm playing SSB4 for the Wii U... there are only eight unlockable characters... and I've got them all except for SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Duck Hunt Dog. YES, HE'S A THING.
artisticDreamer

Postby Sundown » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:01 pm

LEGO Lord of the Rings for the 3DS. Not a big fan of games based off movies, but I'm such a huge LOTR fan that I couldn't pass it up.
"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you will get neither." C.S. Lewis
Sundown

Postby Kaori » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:01 pm

So, in Japan there’s a remake of SaGa 2 (better known as Final Fantasy Legend II in the US) for DS, and it’s fantastic (“Gorgeous, challenging, and quirky,” as one reviewer said). I was playing this a while ago and set it aside when I got to the super-long dungeon which is IIRC called the “nasty dungeon” or something like that in English, but that means that I’m actually most of the way through the game.

Basically, this is what every remake should be. It remains completely faithful to the plot, dialog, and locales of the original, but the developers added several new elements to the gameplay that add a great deal of depth to it. Just as one example, monster sprites are visible and moving around on the worldmap and in dungeons (unlike the original SaGa 2 but like the Romancing SaGa games). It’s possible for them to spot you and run towards you, and if more than one monster sprite does this, then you have to fight both groups of monsters at once in a pincer attack. Your characters also have combination attacks which you can buy and use.

The worldmap and some other areas look a bit bland in that every-PS-era-FF-game sort of way, but there is quite a bit of attention and detail lavished on the towns and to a lesser extent the dungeons.

And even besides the things I’ve mentioned, there are quite a few other additional aspects to the gameplay that really enrich the game, so rather than merely updating the graphics a bit and throwing in a few extra cutscenes or an extra dungeon to get people to buy another copy of a game they already own, it feels like the developers poured a lot of love and effort into reworking the game.

Also, this exists:

In other news, F-Zero X (N64) is awesome. I really like the emphasis on precision and skill in the original F-Zero game, and this one F-Zero X is very much in the spirit of its predecessor. It also has everything I could wish for as an improvement on the original: more tracks, more cars, and a multiplayer mode. On the negative side, I could do without the ability to attack other cars (it conflicts with the goal of racing the course with as much precision and speed as possible), and the soundtrack leaves something to be desired (I like the hard rock style, but most of the pieces are poorly-written). Although the graphics are lacking in detail, this was the sacrifice the developers made in order to have such a high framerate and to have 30 cars on the road, and I don’t know how anyone can experience breezing through a pack of dozen rival cars at over 1,000 km/h without feeling that the developers made the right decision when they did that.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Xeno » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:06 pm

I received an Xbox One as an early christmas gift, so I've been playing Forza Horizon 2 almost relentlessly. The system came with the latest two Assassin's Creed games, but I'm having trouble getting into them.
Xeno

Postby Mullet Death » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:08 pm

Played the 2013 Tomb Raider. Kind of cheesy. Played Bioshock Infinite finally a while back and need to beat 1999 Mode and stuff now. All right, developers. I did NOT see that nonsensical plot/ending coming; ya got me.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Sundown » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:46 am

I'm juggling Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Petz 5.
"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you will get neither." C.S. Lewis
Sundown

Postby Wolfsong » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:14 pm

I've almost finished Final Fantasy Tactics: Grimoire of the Rift, and just got both Rune Factory 4 and Tales of the Abyss. FFT has been beyond awesome so far, Rune Factory I just started and it seems quite promising. I'll be starting TotA soon. I can't wait!
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby Fantasia » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:53 pm

My family got Disney Infinity 2.0 for Christmas, and it's actually a lot of fun. I've been playing it with my brother whenever I get the chance, and I've already bought a few figures for myself.
Fantasia

Postby Sheenar » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:12 am

Playing Pokémon Uranium --at the 4th gym currently and really enjoying the game so far! It's still in beta, but runs pretty smoothly overall. Great quality. :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby artisticDreamer » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:44 pm

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Zora temple is giving me a headache...
also, the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
artisticDreamer

Postby Mullet Death » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:28 pm

I finally caved and bought Gears Judgment, downloading overnight. I will likely regret this decision.

Mullet Death

Postby Nate » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:28 pm

Christmas got me a lot of money with which to buy games, and currently at the moment I am focusing on the following:

Pokemon Omega Ruby - It's pretty good though there are design choices I find irritating and questionable. Wally forcing you to go back to Mauville after you beat Norman is terrible, because then you have to trek all the way back if you want to explore places using Surf. The original game did it much better in that it allowed you to explore. The same thing happens with May showing up and saying "Come with me to [place]!" a couple of times, but you can at least say no to her. Turning Mauville into a shopping mall is kind of neat but it ruins the long stretch of land you could Mach Bike back and forth on for Pokemon eggs, so that's annoying. Still, the game is pretty fun. I mean, it's Pokemon.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - This game is kinda fun and after I got past the fact that it's purposely vague and obscure and having people help me out on another forum, I'm really enjoying it. Some of the monsters are right jerks though.

Darksiders 2 - Actually haven't touched this a whole lot, but it was on sale for an insanely ridiculous price (EIGHT DOLLARS) and I really enjoyed the first Darksiders game, so this was an obvious purchase. It seems okay so far but I really miss being able to block from the original Darksiders, also to me the dodge seems really inaccurate and I'm taking a lot of hits I feel I shouldn't be.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Kaori » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:01 pm

Pokémon Rangers: Shadows of Almia.

Negatives: It was not challenging at all (definitely my biggest complaint) and the music could have been better. Positives: I found the styler mechanism pretty enjoyable, and I don’t know how the English translation is, but a lot of things as they were phrased in Japanese made me laugh (also just the ridiculousness of the ranger poses and so on). Overall I enjoyed it and would consider playing it again.

Now returning to my regularly scheduled difficult and/or retro games.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:18 pm

Did a bit of casual gaming with my sisters over break, mostly with Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Soul Calibur II, Super Monkey Ball, and Mario Kart Wii. Also dabbled a bit with The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

My siblings and I played a lot of Hedgewars, an online flash game based on Worms. Basically, you lead an army of cute pink hedgehogs (that you can customize to have different hats and voices and names and whatnot) and you try to defeat the other armies while destroying everything around you XD

I also started Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, which is shaping up to be just as fun and charming as the others. I'm almost 100 puzzles in, but I know I've got a lot more to go! LUKE IS SO CUTE IN THIS GAME I CAN'T EVEN.

But the main game I played over Christmas was The Last Story. I was a bit wary of this game when I first started, because most Wii games aren't that spectacular. But while the story was nothing I haven't seen before, it was actually a lot of fun, and quite a solid game. I really grew attached to the characters after a while, and the battles were a lot more challenging than they seem at the outset. An added plus was that some of the more boring aspects of RPGs like level grinding and annoying random battles were mostly taken out of the game. It was almost seamless. Though maybe the best part of this game was the music. You can't beat Nobuo Uematsu *hums "Toberu Mono" for the rest of her life*
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Jingo Jaden » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:56 am

Warthunder - Always fun, 152mm derp cannon master race never fails to inspire hilarity. Shooting down other aircraft with a 75mm tank buster for the hilarity of it. Liberate entire cities by carpet bombing them along with the enemy tanks. Completely fail at said tanking while doing well in the air being generous enough to save a few bombs for those ground veichles.

Dark Souls 2 - NG+ is being a bit cheaper than I feel it should. >_> Making a character based on Raoh while failing utterly at PVP which is not a great starting point, though, it's just fun. Or it would be if the game would not spawn npc red phantoms during boss battles that makes something already hard that much more annoying.

Victoria 2 - Conquered all of China and parts of Japan and India, most of Africa and certain parts of South America with France, but of course, the Germans have to do better, so it will be fun to see what I can do with a nation with decidedly cooler helmets.

Hearts of Iron 3 - Diday Black Ice. - World at war with me at the helm. Generally speaking I can be lazy and just research nuclear capabilities to a full and have that ready in 1945, wait until the Germans destroy the soviets and then just lob nukes continually at them until they surrender everything. Or I can play as France against a decidedly aggressive eastern neighbor which is always a fun challenge. Either way, great mod, highly advanced game, all fear the Arm/Harm/Mech/AC/SPAA divisions.

Europa Universals IV - MEIOU and taxes/Veritas et fortiudo mod. - Where to begin on this one. Happy fun times with the conquistadors and Spanish treasure fleet. Take ALL the spices, gold and silver. Push your nation into the early industrial age decades before any rivals. Achieve complete religious unity and total innovation dominance. Vassalize the southern half of France just to keep the uppity northen neighbor at bay. Unleash the Spanish inqusition which nobody will expect. Explore foreign, exotic cultures only to conquer them. Take your claim on both the southern and northen parts of America. Become the dominant trading partner in India and China. Ensure that the Irish get their independence while annexing Portugal bit by bit. And in general, just, ensure that there is no other major European power than yourself.

Crusader Kings 2 - Where to even start with this one. With the new rpg elements added into the characters, play as a man who conquers and gradually centralizes all of the British isles. Feast and make friends with all the past enemies. Later on become a master of intrigue to scheme and in cruel ways subdue and blackmail ones enemies. Go on a crusade against the Abbassids and give Alexandria to Venice and the Kingdom of Jersualem to the papacy in exchange for lots of money and unbridled powers. Romance half the courtiers in France and England. Sent a lazy and complaining daughter to the monastery while establishing a glorious anglo-french dynasty with another. Arrange an 'accident' for the prime her that was notoriously bad and let the throne go to the far more competent second son. Hunt the white stag which once again escapes my character. Buy an exotic book called the necronomicon from a middle eastern salesman and enjoy both genius and cultural advancement, only to die of multitudes of horrible diseases shortly after, but not before imprisoning half the dukes to ensure no future succession issues. Great life - 10/10.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Mullet Death » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:09 am

Been playing the original Dark Souls for the past couple weeks because I'm always at least two years behind other gamers.

Mullet Death

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:16 pm

Played some Super Smash Bros. recently.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Xeno » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:24 pm

I just finished marathoning The Walking Dead seasons one and two. Amazing. I can't remember the last time I got choked up by a video game, but SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Lee's death at the end of season one really got to me. There were a few times in season two also, namely killing Kenny.

Other games I'm playing: Forza Horizon 2, Forza Motorsport 5, Sunset Overdrive, FIFA 15, Madden 15, Saints Row IV, and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.
Xeno

Postby ClaecElric4God » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:42 pm

Replaying Majora's Mask because why not? Ah, how I love this game. The first three days is always annoying, though. Can't wait to get past that.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Xeno » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:44 am

Picked up Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes because why not?
This and MGR are the first Metal Gear games I've ever played...the story line is pretty confusing.
Xeno

Postby artisticDreamer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:16 pm

Hyrule Warriors. The Majora's Mask pack came out yesterday, and since I bought the Hero of Hyrule pack it was downloaded into my console immediately.
So, you though that the Twilight map was hard?
At least it doesn't reset itself.
Yes, that's right, in the Termina map, you only have a certain amount of time before the moon falls and you go back in time. And Tingle. TINGLE.
BURN IT WITH FIRE.
artisticDreamer

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:29 pm

Tingle is awesome and cool and anyone who hates him hates fun.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Penter » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:49 pm

Uh... Yeah. Everyone totally loves Tingle.

On a completely random note, I've been playing quite a bit of Animal Crossing recently.( great game for all ages.)
If Visual Novels count as games, I've also been "playing" Umineko no Naku Koro ni. ( It would be hard to recommend due to the extreme amount of gore)
Penter

Previous Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews