February entry: Turn

This forum contains the rules, the themes, and the entries for the monthly manga contest

February entry: Turn

Postby Esoteric » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:52 pm

Guess I'll be brave and go first. Here's my entry.

Title: Turn

Length: cover + ten pages

Author Comments: I realize marker isn't exactly the standard manga medium, but it lent itself to a 'looser style'. (Looser style = fast. Fast = me completing this in time!)

My suggested theme for March is: Fire/Burn (literal or metaphorical)

(Hope I followed the instructions correctly...if I forgot something lemme know.)

Cover:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Esoteric

Postby Esoteric » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:53 pm

Page 1:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Esoteric

Postby Esoteric » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:55 pm

Page 2:
Esoteric

Postby Esoteric » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:55 pm

Page 3:
Esoteric

Postby Esoteric » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:56 pm

Page 4:
Esoteric

Postby Esoteric » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:58 pm

Page 5:
Esoteric

Postby Esoteric » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:59 pm

Page 6:
Esoteric

Postby Esoteric » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:00 pm

Page 7:
Esoteric

Postby Esoteric » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:01 pm

Page 8:
Esoteric

Postby Esoteric » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:02 pm

Page 9:
Esoteric

Postby Esoteric » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:03 pm

Page 10: (last page)
Esoteric

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:07 pm

Wow, that is really excellent! I'm very impressed! I wish I had time to do one of these, too, but not this month. XD Great work, though! :D
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:38 pm

WOW, ESO! that looks fantastic! ^_^ I love your scenery and the expressions you gave them.

I hope I can pull 3 pages off by friday! -_- my creativity level is low and I want it back.

but yeah, this looks amazing! Great job!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Crazy Kitty » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:18 am

Oh wow... that was amazing o.o The story was solid and interesting and I loved your backgrounds. Makes me wish you'd write more with these characters XD
Crazy Kitty

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:09 am

Aw, man! You are too awesome, Eso!! :grin: I'm just lucky my area of not-so-expertise isn't manga drawing, or I would be hopelessly depressed by now :sweat: I think your personality comes out even more in illustrated works than simple written word. You really drew me in with this one. I really like simplistic stories, when they're done well, and this was definitely done well ^_^ I felt like I could hear each of the characters' voices, and the emotion in them. You've done a great job with this, and every moment you spent slaving away on this was worth it for such a masterpiece.
Am I biased? Hmm...maybe a little :grin: But I still think it's really, really good.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Esoteric » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:11 pm

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you guys enjoyed reading it.

Wolf, I'm very pleased you think it was worth the effort (especially since you had to listen to all my whining. ;) )
Esoteric

Postby Ashley » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:44 am

Eso, I'm so glad you have the honor of being our very first entry! I really enjoyed it and I especially thought the grayscale coloring really reflected the somber environment and the snow...it just goes to show what happens when all the right elements of design come together nicely. Excellent job!
Ashley

Postby Souba » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:49 pm

[color="RoyalBlue"]What an amazing piece, you should be very proud. Very moving, loved it!
Beloved in Grace,
Souba[/color]
@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~

[color="RoyalBlue"]We are not saved by the Law, but by Grace[/color]

@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~
Souba

Location: Second star to the right and straight on until morning!

Postby AsianBlossom » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:59 pm

Wow...this one is really good in terms of story. And the art's pretty good as well. *thumbs up*

Wish I had the patience for this sort of thing. Sadly, I can only write 'cause I lack the "mad manga skillz."
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Return to Monthly Manga Contest